Chapter 12

Elijah's POV

Why does the universe hate me? Like, what did I do to deserve the bullshit that is always piled on top of me?

First, I find out that I'm an omega in middle school (pretty jarring but I was able to handle it eventually). Then I had to quit basketball because everyone is an asshole (not a big deal, volleyball is pretty cool anyways). Then I had to attend Gray's ego fest today and dress up (my friends were the only tolerable people there since everyone was either praising Gray, or giving me scummy looks and remarks). The fucking thing took FOREVER to finally start but luckily the ceremony was short so I could finally leave.

BUT THEN, after feeling the cool autumn air on my skin and getting out of that stuffy room I get hit with an amazing smell of pine trees. I was about to turn towards the source but got bear hugged from behind by it. Once I heard the person say "MINE!" I knew that it was my soulmate. Never really thought that I would ever get one but being in their warm embrace I couldn't help but blush. Though it quickly ended, I was finally able to turn towards them. That's when the warm feeling in my chest turned into the deepest sense of dread that I had ever felt in my seventeen years of life.

My mate, was non-other than GRAYSON FARRELL.

Sooo, yeah. The moon goddess hates me. However, he seems as shocked as I am, so I'm guessing he had no idea either. After a few minutes of starring, I see from the corner of my vision that everyone else from inside is rushing to where we're at. Great, now everyone gets to find out too. I would run away as fast as possible if I could tear my eyes away from Gray's confused and shocked eyes.

Aren't they gorgeous~

Did you know this whole time?!

Know what?

Don't play dumb with me, I'm not in the mood!

Okay! Okay, relax. Look, I didn't know for sure buuuuuuuut I did have a hunch that it might, sort-of, maybe, kind of be Gray...... But! I didn't want to tell you because I knew you would freak out.

To LATE!!

Well I did have a quick chat with his wolf Onyx, and he seems really nice! 😊

Not helping!

Wasn't trying! You're too stubborn to give anyone the time of day, let alone a second chance.

By now everyone has caught up to us and is now crowding around. Great. I hear an abrupt cackling laughter from behind Gray which, thankfully snaps us out of our staring contest, but fills me with disgust when I see that it came from Luke. Because of course it did.

"This is priceless! Not only is your soulmate an omega but a GUY too! And ELI of all people!" Luke cackles holding his stomach. Suddenly, Gray's face twist into anger, which means that shit's about to get messy. In an instant he's in front of Luke, crushing his wind pipe with his hand, then tosses him to the ground like a rag doll. Seeing Luke gasping for breath on the ground gives me a bit of joy to see, until Gray turns his angry eyes towards me. He storms towards me until we're a foot away from each other, trying to stare me down. As if I'm going to submit to him in front of everyone. Please.

"Look Matthews," Wow, I guess we're referring to each other by last names now. "I don't want to be your mate and I know you don't want to be mine, so let me just break things off now." Okay, ouch. For some reason I felt a bit hurt by that statement (though I'm not letting him know that) but it's true. Besides, there's no way we could be a thing and this is better for everyone.

"Ha! And who says you get to do the rejecting here?" I say, crossing my arms, which only makes his anger grow more. Might as well piss him off a bit before he breaks my wolf's hopes and dreams. I can already feel him whimpering and howling in my head.