Her Kingdom Come: Rebellion

Days earlier, Historia

"I was born on a small farm in the northern region of Wall Rose. It was on land owned by the noble family of Reiss. As far back as I can remember, I was helping around the farm. But, my mother was always reading books and not once did I see her doing housework. She was a beautiful woman. At night, someone would come for her in a wagon and she'd go off to the city wearing fancy clothes. For me, that was just life as I knew it. After I learned to read and write, I picked up a book to imitate my mother. Only then did I know how alone I was. In all the books, parents cared about their children. They talked, hugged, fought, or so the stories went. I had never experienced any of those things. One day, out of curiosity, I decided to try hugging my mother. I just wanted to see what kind of face she would make."

"Mother!" A gasp and a hand clasps over Historia's mouth, pushing her off to the side nearby the fence. Her nose bleeding, Historia holds her face but turns to the disgusted woman with a open smile.

"If only I had the courage to kill the girl..."

"She ended up shoving me away, but that was the first thing my mother ever did for me. That's why it made me so happy. And what she said afterward...those were...the first words my mother said to me. After that, she left the house and began living somewhere else. And then, five years ago, just days after Wall Maria fell, for the very first time, I met my father."

"Nice to meet you, Historia. My name is Rod Reiss... I'm your father."

"That man... He was the lord ruling the land we lived on. My mother I hadn't seen in years looked terribly frightened."

"Historia... You'll be living with me now."

"If Reiss came for you, why are you not with him now?"

"This is a problem, Lord Reiss." A man dressed in a dark suit appears from behind Reiss's carriage. Frightened, Historia's mother tries to run, but she's caught by him and another man as the man who spoke's accomplices come into view. "Let's avoid acting rashly now. Did the fall of Wall Maria make you a little scared?"

"Mother!"

"No! I am not the mother of that girl! She has nothing to do with me!"

"Oh, is that true, Lord Reiss? Do you really have nothing to do with this woman or child?" Historia looks to her father, feeling his hand recede from hers. In one night, in one moment...she's been disowned by both the mother who rejected her for years and the father who just claimed her.

"So be it. These two here have nothing to do with me."

"I thought that might be the case."

Historia's mother is pushed to her knees. "What? What are you..."

"You never existed," the man says as he reaches for a long knife in his coat. "You never worked at the estate either. Nobody knows who you are."

"That's not... Master! Please tell them that's not true!"

Fearing for her mother's life, Historia steps closer. "Mother..."