Battle of Trost: The Nightmare Replays

Eren and I turn around, gasping in the shared shocked of my fellow cadets as we stared eye to eye with the terror that just appeared. Horror replayed in my eyes of five years past, freezing me with fear. I'm sure the same words replayed in Eren's head as they did in mine. Oh no, this cannot be happening. Not again.

The Colossal Titan. Nearly fifty feet tall, his fleshy head stares almost level at us with his exposed scowl, just as a powerful vortex of steam escapes its body. The force of it is enough to push us off, but the heat of the steam causes us to react. We are sent flying off the Wall, lucky to be equipped with ODM gear. We grapple on the Wall's side and hang vertically on it.

"Samuel!" I turn to see Conny cry the boy's name, and Sasha makes a desperate rescue attempt that has one of her hook grip Samuel's foot as the other hang on the Wall.

"Try not to move! Understand?" As Sasha begins to bring Samuel up, I stare back at Mina, seeing her fear across her face. Given our distance, I cannot reach her without moving into a new position, yet I don't deem the situation that critical.

"You okay, Mina?"

"Yes... Is this really happening?"

"Yeah. It is." I turn to Eren. "Almost lost Samuel. Shit."

"That was too damn close." He looks down to the lower part of the Wall, my eyes following. I knew I heard an explosion below us, but now that we see it, the two of us could only hang our jaws. "Oh god, no. Not again! They're going to get in. They're going to get in. They're going to get in!" Eren pushes himself off the Wall, I trail right behind. We land on the road leading to the Wall, getting a closer look at the hole in the Wall.

"The Wall... It's been destroyed!" I grit my teeth in anger and fear as the first Titan begins to walk in. I look up to the others still hanging on the Wall, their fear overcoming their readiness to fight. Giving the surprise, I understand it, but now we can do what we couldn't five years ago, and I will not let this opportunity be wasted. "Hey! This is what we've been training for! We must defend the city until the others can get here!" I draw my blades behind a ready Eren, and we take charge at the incoming Titan.

Eren gets there first, distracting it as he zips past the Titan's head. It makes the mistake of turning its head, exposing the nape. Taking aim with my hooks, I fire them towards the nape, then project myself forward with my swords ready to cut it open. Like swing a knife through butter, my blades cut deep through the Titan's neck, killing it instantly. My first Titan kill...before Mikasa too. I take some pride in it.

However, we don't have much time for a break. Another Large Titan enters through the Wall, just as Conny and Sasha come down from their perch. Conny lands beside me. "Are you okay? I'm joining the fight, too!"

I nod. "Good to see that!"

Sasha comes down the other side of me. "I'll go, too! We can win if we all fight together!"

Eren turns to us. "Josh is the best with the blades between the four of us. We'll distract them! Then you take the chance to strike them in the nape, Joshua!"

"Then let's get busy!" I watch as the three of them ascend towards the Titan. As Sasha and Eren gained the monster's attention, Conny flew low and cut the back of the Titan's knees, making it fall towards the ground. Seeing my opportunity, I take to the air and descend upon the Titan's nape, cutting through it expertly as I have trained. Another kill counted for me, I join Eren and the others upon one of the rooftops.

"We've pulled through! We can do this... Humanity can beat the Titans!"

Conny walks up to Eren's side, pointing at the hole in the Wall. "Eren, this is too much! If more Titans come, we're done for!"