Battle of Wall Maria: Before Lights Out

Joshua

"Armin. You're in command. We follow your orders."

"Then...we retreat. Rally at the commander for new orders. We'll engage the Colossal Titan in a battle of attrition as originally planned."

"Hold up, Armin," Jean counters. "It'll be a disaster if we let Bertholdt near the wall and the others. If the house near the inner gate catches fire, they'll be sandwiched between the fire and the Beast Titan."

"Th-That means...we have no choice but to defeat Bertholdt right here? And we have to do it with the people we have here?"

Some rubble lands on the houses near us, alarming the others. "Armin! The fire! Your orders?"

"Hurry it up!"

As Armin and the others try to figure out what to do, I stare at Bertholdt as he picks up more debris. How many Scouts has he killed in that one attack? I can't believe that, at one point, I considered letting him live if the choice was achievable. Now… All I feel is hatred, the same hatred I hold for Reiner is now upon Bertholdt. So this is the game he wants to play? We'll play it.

"Joshua, can you take my place?" I look down at Armin, stunned by his request. "I just have no idea...what to do… I should have taken your word. I was wrong reading Bertholdt and look where it got us. Joshua, you're better suited for this!"

I nod to Armin, then look to the group as a whole. "The river. Move to the river. We'll ride Eren to conserve our gas." We board Eren, and he begins to move. At the same time, so does Bertholdt. "Eren, at some point, we'll have to get Bertholdt's attention, but until then, don't let him see you. And Armin, I'm all right at reading situations, but I'm too angry to come up with a reasonable plan to deal with Bertholdt that doesn't definitely kill us. To that end, I am counting on you. We all are, okay?"

xxxxxxxxx

Levi

"We're done cleaning up here. The only small ones left are the ones way at the front. Still, how will we take down the Beast Titan? He's perfectly content sitting way over there, not moving an inch."

Levi nods. "Yeah, it seems he's a coward. Not like he had balls to begin with."

Dirk chuckles. "You take a break. We'll mop up the rest of the small ones. Let's go!"

"Roger!"

Levi watches as Dirk Squad advances to the edge of town, where the remaining small Titans are. He then turns to the wall behind him, where his squadron and Hange's are. Black smoke rises to the sky after the enormous eruption that happened minutes ago. The commander, from his position on top of the wall, is a little green dot. "What was that explosion? What happened to those guys? Did Hange and the others avoid it? I gotta hurry to that side and-" In Levi's sight flies by a small pebble, going at high speed towards the wall. That pebble multiplies by two, then four, then eight, then innumerable as Levi hears the drums of destructions and the unharmonious song of death from the Scouts. As the noise dies out, only a cloud of blood covers the town. Looking further ahead, Levi can see the Beast standing up.

"Hmm… Tha on was a little bit high. Oh, leave it right there… Well, the first pitch was a warm-up. I'm going for a perfect game!"