Rumbling: Hear Me, All Subjects of Ymir

Joshua, more than a month ago

"A letter, sir."

I take the parchment from the soldier and close the door. "A letter, huh?" I open the letter as I return to the desk where Hange and I are sitting. Unfolding the message, I quickly scan it quietly. It's from Eren, of all people.

Some time ago, during a trip to the continent of Marley. A conference about protecting the Subjects of Ymir was being held at an international forum, which we attended in disguise. Turns out, the forum was true to its name, unless you were a Devil of Paradis Island. On that day, at that moment, Eren disappeared. This letter is the first time we've heard from him since.

"Well?"

"Marley is holding a festival in a few days, one in which the world shifts its focus on us 'devils'. He's going to make his attack then and there, with or without us."I set the letter on the table and glance up to Hange. "Well, we know what Eren's going to do. What says you, Commander Hange?"

Hange closes her eyes for a moment, then sighs. "What do you think, Executive Officer Hardin?"

I lean back, holding my chin in thought. "...They showed up on our doorstep nine years ago. It's time we repay them. But... I don't like it one bit. Eren wants to entrust everything to Zeke, yet we don't know what Zeke even wants. And if we attack... If we follow Eren and Zeke's plan, the only consolation I get out of it is seeing Reiner again."

Hange narrows her eyes and picks up the letter. "Joshua, answer me honestly. If I decide to go forth with this operation, knowing that Eren is breaking military rules, knowing that Marleyans will lose lives, both civilian and military, knowing that we're shooting ourselves in the foot and giving the world what it wants... Will you lead the operation?"

"Hange..."

"Sometimes, to get results, a man must lose his humanity. You know that well, you served under Erwin long enough to see that. But I don't think I have that in me. I think you do. Your desire for revenge made you a great leader, even if you don't recognize it yourself. I saw that in you the day I chose you to be by my side, and I see it in you now. The operation will cost many lives. I'll take responsibility for whatever happens, but I want you to lead them on the ground."

I sigh. "I'll do so."

xxxxxxxx

Moments before Tyber's declaration

"Nice choice of a scene for a talk... Eren." I look at the "wounded" man in front of sitting, barely visible in the candlelight. He looks back at me with droopy eyes. I believe he's either dead inside or about to fall asleep. "You look like shit."

"So you've come. I guess that means the rest are too."

I frown. "After this, if we succeed, you are under arrest. Just want you to be aware of it. I also want you to know the consequence of this action. Marley might be weakened, but Paradis will be a target for the entire world. You're putting innocent civilians under a scope, your friends under a radar, your family in the enemy's sight. And for what? Revenge? To send a message?"

"You speak as if you care what happens to Marley. But wasn't it you, on the beach, who said we should exact the vengeance of the Eldians? What happened to you?"