Jaegerists: Funerals and Prisons

A few days later, Joshua…

"How were the funerals?"

I stare into the distant evening sun as the young queen of Paradis exits her residence and sits with me on the steps. I've probably been here for a half hour, but the reason I'm here, I really don't know. My friends are back at the military headquarters, probably in the same mood I'm in. I wish I can be with them, but… I can't look at them with their faces of empathy. But seeing her, my closest friend...isn't that just the same?

Slowly I turn my head to Historia, the girl dressed in a simple blue dress and white sweater. Her eyes hold comfort, but I ignore them for the moment as I look away. "It was fine. A funeral is a funeral, after all. But that's not what weighs heavy on my mind."

She nods. "Guess both of us are burdened with the future of Paradis, hm? Can we take a ride?" Standing up, she offers her hand to me. Seeing no reason to deny her, I take her hand and follow her to my horse. As I help her saddle up, I catch the glares of the Military Police who are assigned to guard her, but while we do not belong to the same division, they know not to piss off Historia.

Once she's comfortable in the modified riding position, I get in front of her and begin our ride. I won't go far, just a mile or so out into the plains, but far enough from listening ears, in case I say anything that no one else is supposed to know of yet. In the meantime, I speak of Historia's burden. "They're still expecting you to produce an heir?"

Historia sighs so heavily the air grows in weight around us. "Yes. I understand why, but… I feel like there's something more important than that to do."

"Like inheriting the Beast Titan? You did want that, after all. Isn't it weird to be distantly related to the Jaegers?"

Historia chuckles. "Yes, now that you say it… Are there only three options to ensure our survival? Either we grow technological, we test the rumbling, or we continue the inheritance of the Founding and add the Beast. Do all of those options even apply now?"

"I don't know. The only plan I'm sure of is whatever the brothers are of, if it even is a good plan."

"Do you...trust Eren?"

I drop my head. "When we received Eren's letter, Hange asked my opinion on acting with Eren. I told her that it is right we repay them, and even now, I still do. But I hated that we weren't ready, hated that he wasn't consulting us, hated that he would endanger this whole island by acting in solidarity. And now… Despite the situation, I want to hurt him as he hurt me and our friends. But he's under arrest, and not even I'm allowed to see him. I doubt Armin and Mikasa will get through either."

"Zeke and the volunteers, what's their fate as of now?"

"Zeke is on the way, if not already there, to that forest that we ended up at when Annie first attacked. A place where Levi has the greater advantage. Under Commander Pyxis' orders, the volunteers are also under arrest, but it's until we can verify Zeke and Eren's intentions, or so I'm told. As for the girl who shot Sasha and her friend, I'm told they're imprisoned as well."

Historia nods as I slow the horse's speed. She turns her head to the horizon, her eyes a mix of hope and fear. "Were we wrong… Is there really no other available option?"

I lower my head. "I wish I could tell you, Historia."

xxxxxxxxx