Invasion: Declaration of War

Reiner

As the trio stands up and moves towards the camp, Bertholdt speaks. "I keep...having this dream about the old man in the reclaimed land, hanging by the neck from a tree. I keep wondering why he would tell us that story before hanging himself…"

"How on earth...are we supposed to know why?"

"He wanted to be forgiven by somebody, anybody. Although after we ourselves abandoned Marcel to die, we have no right to talk about something like forgiveness."

"For some reason, I keep thinking that...that old man...that he wanted some to pass him judgement."

Reiner shakes in fear as he continues to stare at the cold eyes of Eren Jaeger for the first time since they last fought in Shiganshina four years ago. But this is a dream, an illusion of Reiner's fractured mind. There's no way Eren is here, in Marley. There's no way…

"Ummm, I heard the two of you were old friends. I thought it would be a pleasant surprise. Isn't that right, Mr. Kruger?"

"That's right. Thank you Falco, for bringing him over. We have a lot to catch up on. I don't even know where to start."

"Impossible." Even if he doesn't want to admit it… It is true. This is no trick of the mind, Eren is here, in Marley, tonight of all nights. His worst nightmare -- no, his second worst -- is right here in front of him.

"Sit down, Reiner," Eren asks as he gestures to the empty chair in front of him. "This is a good seat. You can hear all that's happening on the stage from here. It's just a normal residence building, although it's located to the back of the stage. Many good people are up there right now working from their windows, waiting for the curtains to rise. Right on top of us." As he says that, Eren raises his right hand and points up, not hiding the bleeding cut on the palm.

"Oh, Mr. Kruger, did you hurt your hand?"

Eren shrugs it off. "Yeah, it's just a scratch." He looks up to the mortified Reiner. "Reiner, sit down." This time, Reiner sits down, trying his best to remain calm. Eren...the Eren he remembers wouldn't dare do what he is thinking. Eren wouldn't sacrifice innocent lives...would he?

Falco turns to head for the door. "So...I'll be taking my leave."

"No, Falco," Eren sternly commands. "You should stay and listen too."

"What?"

"Falco," Reiner calmly and fearfully says, "do as the man says.""

...Yes sir."

xxxxxxxxxx

Joshua

"You don't want to be here when Reiner arrives?"

"No. I rather be on the other side of the stage when hell breaks loose. Someone must observe what's going on in case...well I guess it doesn't matter. As for Reiner…"

"I'll tell him you wait for him."

"Let’s start a new life from the darkness. Until the light reveals the end. Sinister faces, growing curses. This is my last war." I close my journal and place it in a pocket underneath my cloak. It is almost time for Tyber to make his speech. It's a great crowd, if I might say so myself, for a crowd coming to the Eldian ghetto. Soon, it'll be a great red spot. "Angels playing disguised with devil’s faces. Angels playing disguised with devil’s faces. Angels playing disguised with devil’s faces. Children cling to their coins squeezing out their wisdom."