Joining the Scouts: Sawney and Beane

"Whew! That was a tough session today. One slip of concentration and we really could have died out there!"

Armin is possibly exaggerating (or speaking for himself) but he isn't lying. The training the four of us just went through was grueling indeed, especially for Armin. I made him work hard since we both agreed to me helping him out. However, training for two tired me out more than yesterday's mission with the Scouts.

"Yeah, it was a dangerous drill alright," Eren says. He looks are my kneeling form, my body aching for a bed to rest in. "you get through it okay, Joshua?"

I stand up, defying my body putting on a smile. "Yeah, it was nothing!"

"Yeah, that's the spirit. We're finally a step closer to our goal. This is no time to be losing heart, is it? I dare say we're gonna have to complete more and more dangerous training exercises. But I say, bring them on! The sooner I'm a full-fledged soldier, the better!"

"Easy, Eren," Mikasa cautions. "It's great to have a positive attitude to your training. But you need to know your limits, and call on your friends when necessary."

Eren frowns angrily. "Give it up, Mikasa! I'm not a kid anymore. Stop treating me like one!"

Mikasa sighs. "Sorry, Eren. But the fact is, when you get worked up, you can't see the bigger picture. You've always been that way. It...makes me worry."

"Like I said, I'm not a kid, okay! I'm not some little brother you've got to protect."

Armin steps between them. "Okay, you guys, settle down! Hey Mikasa, let's go back to the dorm together, yeah?"

As they walk off, I chuckle to myself besides a simmering Eren. Though I kinda know how Mikasa feels about Eren (it is obvious, let's be honest) I decide not to cue Eren in. "You, Mikasa, you two are great friends."

"Huh? Well, we have known each other for a long time, I guess. But how did you get 'great friends' from that exchange?" Tired, Eren sighs, wiping his forehead. "Anyway, never mind. I guess we should be getting back too, right? We've got an early start tomorrow, Joshua."

I nod. "Yeah. You're leaving with the Lieutenant tomorrow morning, right?"

"Yeah. I...wonder what he has in store for me."

"Heh. Better than being with Section Commander Hange, I'll tell you. I hear we're doing something in a few days, something crazy. She won't tell me, though."

"What could be crazy?"

"Hmm... Yesterday, she mentioned wanting to capture Titans, but she's just messing around."

.............

A few days later...

"Hehe... Between you and me, I've actually got a plan up my sleeve. And not just any plan either-something amazing!"

I am blinded by my superior's eyeglasses flashing bright in my face. That means she's up to no good and I am powerless to avoid my inclusion in it. "What is it, SC?" I started calling Hange "SC" out of respect for her position but saying "Section Commander" all the time is a mouthful. I know she has no problem with me calling her by her name, but I'll wait a while (or when it is needed) before I let it become everyday vocabulary.

"I'm actually on my way to speak to Erwin about it just now. If you're interested, you're more than welcome to tag along."

I have a choice? Not like I never had a choice before, but...Hange is the reason I'm the first Scout out of my class. I owe this to her, after all. Her eccentrics are exciting, I will admit, yet as Moblit (Hange's right-hand man) tells me, she might get me killed one day. Or close to it. "Sure, I'd love to."