Chapter TEN

Maya

"Wow, it's so good to see you!"

Kayleigh Alberts, Nella's best friend since high school, tells me, on Saturday afternoon.

I already went to the Pet Depot interview that morning. It went okay, but it was a tiny little place in a strip mall beside a gas station, and I'd have to take a bus there every day. The man who interviewed me was nice and seemed to think I'd be good for the job, and said he'd call me soon. But now I am at the Art Hub, the biggest art supply store in town. It's only a ten minute drive from the apartment and it's close to the newspaper, where Nella works.

"Yeah, you too," I tell Kayleigh, leaning onto the counter.

She's standing behind it, her dark hair pulled back into a braid. She's tall and thin and has thick framed glasses and some tattoos on her forearm.

"This isn't really a formal interview," she goes on. "I mean, cause I sort of know you already and I just had one of my guys quit because he's starting an apprenticeship in a few weeks."

It stings, that she says she sort of knows me. For three years before I left, I saw Kayleigh almost every day. She and Nella usually included me in things they did, like going to the movies or to the harbour to meet their friends. We were only a year apart in school, and we knew all the same people. Kayleigh was my friend, too.

"Oh, okay," I say, looking around the store.

It feels eerily similar to when I was used to hang out there as a teenager. I wanted to be an artist, then. I wanted to paint something so amazing that everyone would want to see it. Kayleigh supported my dreams. So did Holden. Nella was the one who said being an artist wasn't a real career. She said I'd have to get a real job to make money. But none of that mattered, after all.

"I need a job, but this job would be... it would be really cool," I say, looking back at her.

"Do you still paint? I know Nella said you were in New York for awhile, that's awesome." Kayleigh seems impressed, while I just feel defeated.

"No, I stopped painting when my... when our mom got sick."

Her face changes at my words but she stays where she is. "Right. Sorry."

"Oh, no, it's... fine. I sort of lost myself, and haven't really figured out what I want to do yet. But... I appreciate you considering me for the job," I say, smiling again.

"It's yours if you want it. I mean, as long as you're good with weekends and evenings. Not everyone wants to work then, but, you know... someone has to. I'm here during the week until 6P.M. usually, and some Saturdays. I have a few people who work week day evenings and then there's Clarissa, who works weekday mornings. She's seventeen, but she's like the best employee," Kayleigh goes on.

I finally realize that she's offering me a job. Isn't she?

"Um, really? Yeah, I'm good with whatever, really," I say, still being careful.

"Cool. It's $13.50 an hour. I know it's not a lot but... yeah and you'd be part time, but it's three or four shifts a week, depending," she continues, and I'm trying to input all that information and figure out what that means for my pay cheques. For now, I decide that it's good enough.

"Okay," I say, eyes wide. "Thank you."

"Yeah, of course. It's easier for me anyway, I don't have to go through the hassle of running interviews. And you know art, you'll pick up all the products and stuff easily," she says, nodding. I watched as she pulls out a binder and flips some pages. "Here's the cheat sheets, you can take them home and read them over. Uh, and then I just need you to fill out this. Name, basic info, address, email..."