Chapter FIFTY SEVEN

Holden

I'm pulling into Maya's apartment building parking lot on Tuesday evening when I'm hit with an overwhelming sense of calm. My day was pretty normal - Mom came over in the morning for her usual check in and plant watering, and then I was able to get working on my very last exhibit piece. I didn't even know that I needed that calm feeling, but it sure seems like I do.

  I've emailed photos of a few of them to the gallery owners and they love them, so I'm keeping the rest as a surprise. My final piece is a self portrait - it's not really a painting of me, though. It's how I feel right in this moment. It's how I want the world to see me. It's everything and more.

  Now, tonight, is the start of something special with me and Maya. Sure, we've already started our new relationship but this will be our real first date. She doesn't want to rush, and I'll try my best, for her.

  I'm here, I text her then drop my phone into my lap.

  It buzzes almost right away. Be right down.

  She's wearing a white sun dress that has flowers all over, and brown boots. Her hair is tied back near her neck, and she's not even looking at me as she crosses the parking lot to my truck, but I can feel her.

  "Hi, beautiful," I say as she slides in beside me.

  She blushes and I love how she looks when she's embarrassed. She obviously dressed up for me, and, god, do I love that. I wore black jeans and a tight shirt with buttons at the neck. I trimmed my beard and put gel in my hair. I want to impress her, too.

  "Hey," she says easily, then leans in and kisses my cheek. "How was your day?"

  My smile comes without even trying. "Good. I started on my last piece for the exhibit."

  "Oh, that's amazing." She beams, and I just want to kiss her.

  "Yeah. What about you?"

  She rolls her eyes right away. "Well, Nella and I took Willow to pick out a gift for the baby, from her. But it was nap time and Willow was a disaster. I think she's realizing she won't be the only child soon, too."

  "Ohh yes. Man, I remember that feeling. I was four when Landon was born. I was happy to have a brother but man, sharing my mom's attention was hard," I tell her.

  She nods. "She's only two. She'll be three in August. But yeah, it's going to be an adjustment. The baby is due in three weeks."

  I cross the parking lot and pull out back onto the road, then start driving towards town.

  "June, man. A baby, a wedding and my exhibit," I say, glancing at Maya.

  "Yeah. Crazy," she agrees, then reaches over and slips her hand into mine. It's the best feeling ever, but I try to stay calm.

  "So, I was thinking... we can go to whatever movie you want to see and we can just pig out on theatre food, for dinner?" I tell her, hoping she'll be on board with my plan.

  A big smile spreads across her face. "That sounds awesome."

  She picks a rom-com and nachos and popcorn. I pick a soft pretzel and a Coke and she says we can share the popcorn because it's a huge bag. The movie theatre is pretty much empty, since it's a Tuesday evening, so we go up to the middle of the back row and get comfortable.

  "We've been here before," she tells me, before the previews start. "Like, in these seats."

  It hits me that she's right. We didn't go to movies very often together but one time we did, when things were good, and we sat in the same spot.