Chapter TWENTY SEVEN

Maya

The drive to the little breakfast place doesn't take long. It's just down the road from the Art Hub. I've never been here, as it only opened a year or so ago, but Annie says it's the best bacon and eggs in town.

   It's early - I'm usually up and around by now but not out in public. Because I work mostly evenings, I do a lot of lounging in the morning. Being out in public at this hour feels weird, and who my company is makes it even more so.

   We are seated in the middle of the restaurant and the server brings over coffee right away. Thank God. Annie smiles across at me and brings her coffee up to her mouth. We are waiting for the server to come back and take our order, when she speaks.

   "So... you were in New York?"

   I'm somewhat surprised she even knows this, but then again she's spoken to Nella over the years. Nella knew where I was, sort of.

   "I was. I just wanted a change of scenery you know? I worked and made some new friends." I say this as casually as I can, as if those years weren't extremely hard on me.

   She nods and then drinks a bit more coffee. I can tell the rest of her questions are right there on the tip of her tongue. "You came back for your sister?"

   I swallow hard. "Uh, yeah. I wanted to be here to see her kids grow up."

   There was no way that I was telling her that I had actually escaped an abusive relationship and coming back to Boothbay felt like the only thing I could do. I knew my sister would accept me, even if no one else did. My reasons for coming back were not exactly the reasons I decided I would stay, but that was okay.

   The server - Mark - is back and takes our orders. Annie orders bacon and eggs and I agree to the same. I hope this breakfast isn't just an interrogation.

   "So, you're getting married!" I say, to change the subject. "That's great."

   "Oh Eddie is wonderful. We met when I found his business online. I needed a new cabinet made for my kitchen and I found his contact info. He made me a beautiful cabinet and asked me on a date."

   "That is so sweet," I tell her, because how cute is that?

  "He was married before, as well. His wife passed away just six years ago. He wasn't even looking to start dating. It just happened. Though I was widowed for fifteen years and never dated, until I met Eddie."

   "He must be really special," I say, and smile.

   She nods, then sips her coffee again. "So you've been here for a month?"

   "Yeah. It feels longer, somehow. I got a job, my own apartment..."

   "Right. Holden said you work at the Art Hub." As soon as she says the words I can tell she wants to take them back. It's so casual, the way she says it, that it's almost as if Holden and I are friends.

   I swallow hard, trying to compose myself. "I do."

   Probably because I don't tell her that I don't want to talk about Holden, she goes on. "He's really made a name for himself, as an artist." She looks so proud, so I don't want to crush her by requesting we don't talk about him.

   "That's great." My smile is so forced.

   Our breakfast finally arrives and we start eating right away. It's good, really good, and I try to pretend Annie isn't going to bring up her oldest son again.