Chapter FIFTY SIX

Maya

I work all weekend, and on Sunday I don't ditch dinner. It's at Nella's house once again, and I know Marcus will be there, but it's different now. I feel different. I don't need to avoid him anymore.

On Friday night, after Holden picked up his brother, he called me. I was on my couch and when he said he wanted to see me, I didn't freak out or make up some excuse. I told him my address, then met him downstairs. I got into his truck beside him and I felt better. He smelled so good , like paint and Cologne and toothpaste. I had no idea what we were doing, but I had no doubt that I wanted whatever it was. We drove around Boothbay next to each other, and ended up at the Harbour, eating frozen yogurt.  And when he pulled back into my building's parking lot, he told me that he had been thinking about kissing me again for two days. So I leaned in and kissed him first. It was amazing and I wanted more, but somehow I said goodnight and we went our separate ways.

So now it's Sunday dinner at Nella's and I don't avoid Marcus when he comes in, and strolls through to the kitchen, where I'm helping Nella get dinner ready. She made tacos and I'm cutting up veggies and also trying to keep Willow busy, by playing Eye Spy.

Kayleigh is on her way, even though Phil is still working out of town. George is in the garage grabbing some beers and some soda.

Nella glances and me and then looks at Marcus. It's been a wild few days and I haven't really thought about him or what I'd say to him when I saw him next.

"I texted you a few times..." he starts, and I look at him before nodding towards the other room.

Willow follows me into the living room, and Marcus follows behind her. I sit on the sofa and watch as Willow runs towards her toy bin. Marcus strolls across the room but doesn't sit.

"I'm sorry I didn't get back to you. It's been a weird week," I say plainly.

He nods. "It's been two weeks since I've seen you."

"Right."

"So... I'm glad you're okay. Really. That must have been really scary."

"Yeah." I sigh. "I'm just glad he's in jail now."

"George said that your... that Holden was with you. When it happened?" Marcus goes on. It seems like it annoys him to say Holden's name.

I don't want to go through all of this with Marcus right now, but I nod. "Yeah. He got stabbed."

"What?" Marcus says, too loud. I guess George didn't tell him the whole story.

"Long story. But yeah... I'm okay. We're all okay," I finish.

Marcus hesitates and then takes a few steps closer. I watch him take in a deep breath and I hear the door open and close. George calls out  to Nella about something. I look at Willow but then look back at Marcus again.

"I'm sorry I acted like a dick, at the cook-out. I just knew I was losing you and I was... it was wrong," Marcus says to me, quietly.

"Oh. No, it's okay. I mean I was being wishy-washy about things and..." I let my voice trail off.

"Marcus! Go move your car so Kayleigh can pull in the driveway!" George yells, then appears in the doorway to the living room. He looks between us and then shrugs, waiting for Marcus to do what he asked.

And that ends our conversation. That ends anything that was ever between Marcus and I, and it feels so final. I'm okay with it, and I hope he is, too. I watch him walk across the room and towards the door to go outside, and then stand up and walk back towards the kitchen.