Chapter FORTY FOUR

Holden

The whole week passes and it feels like only hours. I rarely leave the studio, besides to take Honey outside. She sits in the doorway watching me sometimes, but she knows she's not allowed inside the studio. She's a big dog with a wild tail and I don't want her to ruin anything. I barely eat, and it's hard to sleep. I get two pieces done and I've started two more. I have a good start on this, and the motivation is flowing through my body. I've had no distractions, which is a good thing.

   But It's Friday night again before I know it and I'm on my way to pick up Landon. I really enjoy this drive, especially with my dog beside me. Sometimes I think he should get his own car, but I would miss this. This routine we have. The fact that my brother wants to stay with me every weekend while he's in college makes me feel good, too.

   Honey is wagging her tail as she sees my brother approaching the truck, after I am parked in the parking lot outside his building. He's wearing a green hoodie with his college name across the front, and shorts. His hair is so long and curly and messy.

   "Yo!" Landon yells, jumping in beside me. "How was your week, bro?"

   I don't know how to answer that. It went fast. I got a lot of painting done. I talked to Maya. But instead of all of that, I just say, "Busy."

   "Oh? You never say that." Landon gives me a funny look as he's buckling his seat belt.

   "Well, I talked to the art gallery in NY. The owners are so sweet, and they sent over contracts, so I signed them and... it's been a busy week." I swallow hard, waiting for his answer to this.

   "Bro, take a breath. Geez," he laughs. "I'm so proud of you. This is going to be amazing! What's the dates?"

   Backing out of the spot and then crossing the parking lot again, I answer, "June 3rd to July 15th." I have the dates memorized in case I need to tell anyone. "But I only have a month to get everything ready, because they need the paintings there a week before the exhibit opens-"

   "Alright, dude. Chill," Landon laughs. He can tell I'm getting worked up. "How many do you have ready?"

  I think about it and go through the pieces in my head. "Eight."

   "That's a good start!" Landon yells, petting Honey's chin. "Right?"

   "I'm thinking of doing a portrait series. I want to ask Mom if I can paint her," I say instead.

   "She'd love that," Landon says, then laughs. "Don't you want to paint me?"

   I snort. "I'm not sure yet. I mean, there's a painting of you in the L.A. museum. That's how the ladies at the Light Gallery found out about me, actually."

   "You mean The Little Boy? I was like three," Landon says, rolling his eyes. "Are you including the two of Maya?" Of course he asks this question next.

   I'm back on the main road and already heading back towards Boothbay. "Yeah. They represent my current work and-"

   "I didn't ask for an explanation, Hold. I think it's awesome you'll include them."

   "Did Mom tell you what we're doing for dinner tomorrow?" I ask him, because I'm pretty sure he doesn't know yet and I need a topic change.

   I only found out the previous night about these dinner plans. My mom called and told me that we'd been invited to Nella and her husband's house for a cook-out. Her and Eddie are going, and she expects Landon and I to go, as well. She sent me the address.

   "No. What's the plan?" my brother asks cautiously.

   I let out a puff of air before I answer. "Nella and her husband are having a cook-out. Lots of family and friends, I guess," I say, trying to sound like this isn't a big deal.

   "So, we're going?" Landon sounds surprised, but he's busy petting Honey and looking out the window. 

   "I guess so," I say, still trying to sound neutral about it.

   "Will Maya be there?" he asks.

   "I assume so..."

   "And you're okay with that?"

   "I don't have a choice, Landon. Also... I talked to her this week," I admit, and he looks over quickly.

   "Talked? What do you mean?" he wants to know.

   "I went to the Art Hub for some stuff, and she was working," I explain, leaving out the rest for now.

   "Ahh. Okay, well that's a start."

   "What start? There's no start," I say quickly, glancing at Landon.

   He's grinning. "The start of you two being civil with each other," he tells me. "It seems like Mom is pretty happy to have Nella and Maya back in her life. So, you two being able to be around each other is a good idea."

   "Right." Landon isn't a kid anymore, and I forget this, apparently. "You're right."

I spend the next day painting my mom. I go into the studio at 9:00A.M., and I ask Landon not to bother me until lunch time. He takes out Honey and makes coffee and calls his girlfriend. I put my favourite picture of my mom - from her birthday, last summer - up on my iPad and I start. I don't know why I never thought to do a portrait series before. This one is a side profile of my Mom, but she has the biggest smile on her face. When I take a break for lunch, it's almost finished. I just need to finish the background, which is huge peonies - her favourite.

   "How do you do that?" Landon asks, glancing into the studio after I go to the kitchen for a coffee. "She's going to cry when she sees it."

    "I'm not trying to make people cry," I say, but then laugh.

   "It's gorgeous, I mean." Landon's a funny kid and he never takes anything too seriously, so this means a lot to me.

   "Thanks, Land."

   "So, this cook-out tonight? What time are we going?" He changes the subject and I know he's asking because he wants to see his girlfriend today.

   "5:00P.M. ish?"

   "Okay. Can Julia come over for like two hours?"

   Called it.

   "Yeah, of course. I will walk Honey and then have a shower and get ready," I tell him, and he's already texting his girlfriend that she can come over.

   It's a gorgeous spring day. Warm, sunny and, literally, perfect. Honey runs near me as we walk up and down the beach. The sun is beating down on me, so I sit for a few minutes in that spot near the tree, where I used to bring Maya. Honey brings me sticks to throw. It's my ideal way to spend an afternoon, but it's cut short when I realize I have to go back to the house and get ready for this dinner.

   I'm nervous. My stomach growls and turns as I take a hot shower. I choose casual clothes, jeans and a grey t-shirt, but I style my hair a bit. I'm not sure who all is going to be there, but I assume it's Nella, her husband, Maya, their friends, and some family, along with Mom and Eddie. I don't know what category I fall under, either. Friend? Family? Ex boyfriend? I know Nella invited us, not Maya. But I saw how Maya looked at me, just five days ago. She was curious. She was interested, at least in my paintings. No, she didn't call me that week, but I probably would wait forever. Maybe this cook-out would give me a chance to talk to her again. We've gotten past the awkward part of seeing each other again after four years. We have more to talk about, but at least for now, we're headed in the right direction.

   And I can't wait to see her tonight.