Chapter EIGHTEEN

Maya

"Papa!" Willow yells and I'm surprised, even though I shouldn't be. Of course she knows him.

"Hey, Munchkin," he says easily to her, but his eyes are on me.

Did Nella tell him I was in town? He looks shocked to see me, but not as shocked as he should be. How often do Nella and Willow see him? I have so many questions. I didn't want to talk about him when Nella brought it up, but now? I need answers.

"Maya, you look good," he says to me, his tall frame looking down at us both.

I don't want him talking to me, let alone complimenting me, but I'm with Willow, so I have to remain calm. I swallow hard. I grab Willow's hand. I step back, just once. I'm not afraid of him, but he disgusts me. Still, after all these years, I do not feel anything but anger towards him.

"Do you just drop by often?" I ask him.

"Uh, sometimes. I did not know you were here," he admits, looking at Willow again.

He's still got the same dark hard and thick framed glasses, and he has a beard, now. He used to have a moustache. He's wearing a long sleeved shirt and jeans and he just seems like a stranger.

"Here as in Nella's house, or here as in Boothbay?" I ask him, narrowing my eyes.

"Well, I knew you were in Boothbay," he admits, avoiding my eyes.

My sister is a snitch.

"Cool," I say quickly.

"I didn't come here to see you, or to cause drama," he says back, but how do I believe that? How could I ever believe anything he says?

"Okay, so can you go?" I snap, now moving in front of Willow like I have to protect her.

"George said he had an extra package of drywall screws, from a project.  He said I could have them. I'm redoing the basement." My father says this so casually, as if he didn't fuck up my entire world four years ago.

I'm just staring at him in disbelief. "George isn't here."

"Right. I'll come back another time."

I nod and already start shutting the door, but my heart is beating too fast and my stomach hurts. I might throw up. I didn't want to see my father for a very long time, and now he's in front of me, talking about drywall screws. He has the type of relationship with Nella and George that he drops by to borrow things? I feel like Nella should hate him like I do, but I know she doesn't.

"Bye," I say to him, shoving the door closed.

I put Willow to bed after watching an episode of her favorite show, and then I wait for my sister and George to get home. They aren't late, because they just went for dinner and a movie, and as soon as they are in the house, I'm already staring down Nella. George feels the tension and heads towards the kitchen, but Nella looks at me, confused.

"Everything okay?"

"With Willow? Yes, perfect. With me? Not at all," I say, sitting on the sofa.

"What are you talking about?" Nella asks, looking concerned.

"Dad dropped by." The words are hard to get out, but I manage.

"Shit. I didn't think he would, anytime soon," she says slowly.

"Why didn't you tell me that you told him I'm back," I accuse her.

"I was just giving him the heads up, in case you ran into each other," Nella says, but her eyes are still wide.

"Nella." I shake my head, too angry for words.