Chapter TWELVE

Maya

I wake up and immediately feel grateful that both Marcus and I showed as much restraint as we did the previous night. I had a good night's sleep. I'd slept fine in the hotel room, but being alone in that quiet room felt strange. In Marcus' house, I feel so much better. More relaxed. It is only 8A.M. and I am ready to take on a new day.

   He is already in the kitchen when I make my way downstairs, wearing an oversized t-shirt and shorts. My hair is a mess but I'd ran my fingers through it, at least. My stomach is growling and the coffee smells amazing.

   "Morning," he says, then gives me a big smile. "Man, it's weird having someone else here."

   "Sorry," I say, walking into the room.

   "No, that's not what I meant. It's nice," he says. "Coffee?"

   "Yes, please," I answer, leaning against the counter as he takes another cup out of the cupboard and pours me a cup.

   I drink my coffee while admiring him. He's busy with something on his open laptop and not paying much attention to me. I stand, leaning against the counter, sipping the black, hot coffee, and sigh. 

   I barely know this person - this guy who let me stay at his house - but I feel like I do. It feels like we are friends, or something else. I already know I'm too comfortable there, in his house. In his kitchen.

   "Thanks for the coffee," I say, making him look over at me.

   The look on his face is sort of a mix of confusion and annoyance. "Of course, have as much as you want."

   "Oh, more than one cup in the morning makes me a bit shaky," I tell him, looking at the plain, white mug in my hand.

   He nods and goes back to his work.

   Is he even still feeling anything towards me? Or was it just because we were both drinking wine and we were alone? Do I want him to feel something? The vibe I'm getting from him now is very different than last night and I'm confused.

   "I'm going to go get dressed and... call Nella," I say.

   "Alright."

   Why I'm feeling let down is beyond me. Do I actually expect this guy to be interested in me? I don't want that. I know better than to throw myself into something so soon. My heart is still a gaping hole, jagged at the edges. I can't want something with Marcus. I just can't.

   I dig out a clean t-shirt and leggings and then shove everything else back into my bag. I'll bring it all to Nella's and do some laundry while I'm there today. Looking in the mirror, I quickly brush my hair and then jet into the attached bathroom to brush my teeth. I'm back in the bedroom, sitting on the edge of the bed, when I pull out my phone to call Nella.

   "Hey," she answers after one ring. "It's early. Everything okay?"

   "Yeah. I just had a coffee and got dressed," I answer easily.

   "I guess I figure you'd sleep in."

   "Oh. No, sorry."

   "I'm up at 6A.M. every day, Maya. You don't have to say sorry. Actually, if I can get to the grocery store by ten, that would be great."

   It was only a bit after 9am. "I'm ready whenever."

   "Okay I'll leave here soon and come grab you."

   When I end the call, I realize I should check my email, because Kayleigh said she'd be emailing me the work schedule. I want to make sure I am ready, so I make a mental note to study those cheat sheets that evening, too. It was mostly product numbers and costs, the difference between some items and then where things are located in the store.