Chapter TWENTY ONE

Maya

"Guys night, huh?" I ask Nella, later on that evening.

   Willow's in bed and we are just watching Netflix and hanging out, eating chips. Kayleigh came over for a couple hours but she left early, because she was tired. She's been feeling off a lot lately, actually.

   Nella shoves some more chips into her mouth and nods. "They do it like once a month, or so. They take turns on who's the D.D. George has to work all day tomorrow and wasn't going to go, but he agreed to drive tonight as it was his turn."

   "Marcus told me."

   "Ohh, what else did Marcus tell you?" She laughs, and throws a chip at me.

   "He told me that he wants to come over later," I say quickly.

   Nella shakes her head at me. "Wow. It's still casual? It's been like three weeks."

   "Randomly casual?" I answer. "We haven't hung out since last weekend."

   "Hang out is sex right?" She bursts out laughing.

   "Generally," I smirk at her.

   "I should have driven you home before Willow went to bed," Nella says a minute later, but I shake my head.

   "I can walk. It's not really cold out."

   "It will take you 40 minutes." Nella looks at me like I've lost my mind.

   "I don't really have another option," I shrug.

   "You can stay over?" she suggests. "Unless you're actually planning on hooking up with Marcus tonight."

   Was I planning that? If I hadn't seen Holden today, I'd be all over that. I wouldn't even think twice. But seeing Holden - this guy from my past who I had no intention of seeing - sort of put a damper on my night. It really messed with my head.

   "Yeah, I'll stay. I have to be at work at 10A.M," I finally decide.

   "I'll drive you. I have to go to the market anyway," Nella says, looking back at the TV again.

   Two hours later, my phone is ringing. Nella had already gotten me a pillow from her closet and then went to bed, as I am going to crash on the couch. It's almost midnight, but I'm still watching an episode of Ghost Stories.

   "Hey," I answer, knowing who it is.

   "Heeey," Marcus mumbles into my ear. He's drunk. I smile because he sounds cute. "What are you doing ?"

   "I'm actually at Nella's," I say, without thinking.

   "Still?"

   "Yeah. We were hanging out and Willow went to bed so Nell couldn't drive me home."

   "You want Georgie to come by and grab you? We re just droppin' off Phil." He's slurring words and I hear George in the background saying something.

   "Uh, I'm exhausted and I have to work in the morning, so Nella's going to drive me. I'm going to sleep here," I tell him, knowing he's going to be disappointed.

   Marcus grumbles and then lowers his voice. "I was looking forward to seeing you tonight."

   I flush, knowing George can hear his end of the conversation. "Yeah, I know. But tomorrow night... dinner's at your place. I can stay..."

   This perks him up. "Yesss ok. Yeah."

   "Night, Marcus," I finish, pulling the blanket up around my body.