Chapter FIFTY THREE

Holden

I clip Honey's leash onto her collar and then Maya and I slip on our shoes and go out the back door. Side by side, she and I walk down the grass, towards the water. It's mostly thawed now as the days are warmer and sunnier. I'm bombarded with memories of being out here with her, as kids. We walk past the tree that we used to sit under together, when we were dating, and my heart jumps to my throat. I kissed her for the first time under that tree, and now we are here, together again.

I unclip Honey from the leash and she runs towards the water, splashing and hopping around. Maya laughs and I just shake my head, keeping my eyes on my dog. I want to look at Maya, but I wait. When I give in, I see she's already looking at me.

"What?" I ask her, trying to hold back a smile.

"Nothing," she says quickly.

"Really?"

"You have... a little paint... on your cheek," she tells, and then looks away again.

My hand goes up to my face and try to get it off but, but I don't feel anything. Honestly, I'm always covered in paint. "Where?" I ask her, so I can wipe it.

She smiles and shakes her head, then steps closer to me. We are almost chest to chest and she reaches up and gently touches the spot on my cheek. My body shivers as she pulls her hand away.

"It's dry," she says, looking embarrassed.

"Oh... I'll get it later." My words are stiff, and I'm feeling warm all over from her touch.

But she turns away, stepping back. She felt that, whatever it was, I know she did. And it scares her. How could we still - or again? - have these types of feelings for each other? We've been apart a long time. We hurt each other. But one little touch almost sent me over the edge.

She has barely started walking again when I step forward and reach for her arm. She stops, so I spin her around so she's facing me again, but we are closer this time. I'm looking down at her and she's shaking, avoiding my eyes.

"Maya..." My voice sounds too quiet and scratchy.

She nods but she doesn't speak.

"Hey... look at me?" I say, and it sounds like a question.

She swallows hard and finally looks up at me, our eyes meeting again. Those gorgeous eyes that look the same as when she was seven, and I taught her how to throw a frisbee. The same eyes as when she was fifteen and she told me she wanted to be my girlfriend. The same eyes that looked at me with so much sadness, when she started shutting me out, after her mom died.

"Hold-" She barely manages half of my name.

"Maya, I really want to kiss you," I blurt out, knowing it might scare her off. I don't even care.

"Then do it," she says, not even hesitating a bit.

I kiss her a moment later, and bring my hands up to her face. Her mouth on mine now is so new and different.  I'm kissing her for only a few seconds before she parts her lips and lets my tongue into her mouth. I grunts lowly and pull her body against mine, my thumbs brushing at her cheeks. We are just standing there on the beach in my back yard, kissing each other with all we have.

Suddenly Honey squeezes between our legs and makes her wobble, pulling us apart. Maya laughs, and I groan and then bends down to pet her. She's soaked and happy - her tongue is hanging out of her mouth. She just wants attention. She doesn't know what she interrupted.

Maya avoids looking at me as we turn back and start walking towards my house again. I don't know if that kiss was a good idea, but I know how it felt. It felt amazing. There's no way she doesn't think so, too.