𝑇𝑊𝐸𝐿𝑉𝐸

Still Peter's pov

I see Mj the next day at school, she's at her locker across from mine like she always was, she was sat on the ground and reading the same tattered book she read like clockwork. Again just like clockwork she glances at my locker, I wasn't there yet so she turns back to her book only too look up again moment later at my footsteps. The only thing different to usual was her black eye which looked a lot worse than it did last night, I don't realise that I was staring until her eyes meet mine.

The eye contact startles her for a second before she recovers, looks back down and holds her middle finger up at me, there was nothing new there, I probably saw that finger more than her eyes. She was still angry  from last night, which was understandable, I'd been a total ass to her and again she was the pettiest person I knew. I turn away from her and into my locker as I begin to sort out my books as well as my thoughts, trying to think of a way to apologise properly for how I acted.

I turn back sure of what I'd say to her only to feel my face drop, she was with flash again, her hands in his as he pulled her up of the ground a bright smile on both of their faces. Why were they even friends? What did she even see in him? She could've done way better than him anyways. I try not to let it work me up but flash was just so... flash. He terrorised everyone, me especially I couldn't count the amount of times he'd put me down, verbally and physically.

But there they, she was laughing like he'd said the funniest thing she'd ever heard and he's beaming pleased by her reaction, she claimed there was nothing going on between them and Mj was not a liar, but the way they were looking at each other, the way that he was looking at her. Friends don't look at each other like that.

I suppose Flash had been a lot different ever since that day he tried to talk to me about Ben, and since he'd been spending so much time with her. I even saw them sat together at lunch, she'd be reading and he'd be doing school work. That was odd to me to see him actually care about something other than sports. But they'd sit together, him making her smile every so often.

The bell rings and so I sigh and put my earphones in, I guess I'd have to speak to her later.

MJ's pov

The bell rings and so Flash leaves my side, wanting to get on time to class again, that was still odd to me but I was pleased with him, it was refreshing to see his change in behaviour whilst , I quickly glance at Peter's locker, he was gone.

I'd wanted to speak to him until Flash had appeared. I catch him walking in the wrong direction, our class wasn't that way. I go to catch up to him until Gwen taps him on his shoulder, I stop in my tracks as I look between them, I didn't feel like talking to him right now actually, I'd just have to find him later.

I get to class and slink down into my usual seat, my face kind of throbbing where I'd been hit. I wince as I gently press my fingers against the bruise, calming my mother down this morning has been a huge feat, she tried to put me on house arrest, for my safety but there was no way I was going to be stuck at home all day.

I didn't realise Peter had walked in and sat beside me until I turn and see him watching me with an unidentifiable look on his face.

"Oh my god mj what happened?" He was a decent actor I'd give him that, but I was better. "Some guys tried to mug me." I shrug knowing full well he'd been the one to intervene last night.

"Whilst you were walking home?" I nod, "oh god I'm so sorry, I should've walked you."
"Yeah but you don't like me remember?" I say making his face fall a bit more. "Mj, I really am sorry for what I said yesterday, I didn't mean it." I want to stay mad at him, but I just don't feel all that mad and so I roll my eyes and am thankful when the teacher walks past handing us out papers.

Almost immediately Peter and I turn to each other, like we did after every test we got back, "85." He shrugs making me smirk, "97, loser." He rolls his eyes at me but I see the smile that emerges on his face, I don't say anything about it though, instead turning back to my own table and throwing up a crumpled up piece of paper in his direction, smiling to myself once I hear him chuckle under his breath.

***

After school I decide to go visit Curt at work, I hadn't really seen him properly in a while, so off to Oscorp I went. Usually I saw Curt a lot probably twice a week minimum, he really loved my mom, Gayle and I, and we loved him.

"Oh hey max." I bump into one of the electrical engineers at oscorp as I enter, "hey mj." He smiles glad to see me, I saw max a bit too having been visiting oscorp with Curt for years, I was probably the only person who spoke to him in this building.

"How's your day been?" I ask making his smile grow, he tells me all about it and I listen with a smile, Max was so sweet, he was nice company. "Don't work yourself too hard." I say after we have to split up, Max didn't really work anywhere near Curt. "It was nice to see you, take care Max." He nods with a smile and a wave. "You too Mj."

"Hey Curt, I brought lunch." I exclaim as I enter his office knowing he probably hadn't eaten yet, he got a bit carried away with his research sometimes. It's why I used to come over almost all the time after school, we'd eat and he'd help me with my schoolwork before he'd explain some of his work to me. I always found it interesteing I put the bag of food on the table as I walk further into the room.

"Curt?" I feel hesitant to go any further but do so against my better judgement to see him slumped over his desk. "Oh my god! Curt!" I crouch down beside him but he doesn't react in the slightest, I was almost afraid that he was dead.

I go to check his pulse when I knock into his arm, the arm he didn't usually have. "What the hell." I mumble to myself as I tentatively poke it. It looked gross, like when a reptile needed to shed it's skin, the texture was just like that too, kinda rough and scaly.

My eyes widen, he was testing on himself obviously but why? He knew better than to do that, I back away slightly afraid he'd wake up before I run from the room. I had to tell someone but I didn't know who.