𝑇𝑊𝐸𝑁𝑇𝑌 𝑁𝐼𝑁𝐸

"Max! Max! Max!" I run into Oscorp knowing I had to catch him now or he'd disappear into the lower levels of the building and I wouldn't be able to see him till later. He looks confused at the yelling of his name, almost as if he's expecting another Max to emerge and greet me.

His confusion is pulled from his face as surprise overtakes his features and he finally notices me. I wave frantically making his lips pull up as I run over. "There you are." I say leaning over to catch my breath for a moment as he looks at me expectantly.

"What's wrong MJ?" He asks worried but I also see a hint of hope on his face, it's barely there but I can tell that he's hoping I've remembered today is his birthday.

"Happy birthday!" I exclaim pulling the card I'd gotten him from the inner pocket of my jacket. I wince slightly once I see it's crumpled in the corners, "oh sorry it must've happened during the running, I didn't wanna miss you." I explain sheepishly as he continues to stare at me, still having not said a word.

"Max?" I'm beginning to get concerned. "You remembered?" I feel that in my heart and it makes it churn at the thought of no one else having wished him a happy birthday. "Of course I remembered." I assure him, wishing that even one person working here could see how kind hearted he was and how they'd be lucky to call him a friend.

My visits to Oscorp started when I was young because mom used to work a lot and I couldn't be left at the apartment alone whilst Gayle did whatever she did at school and after. Curt used to bring me here and I'd play with Harry when he was around or I'd just sit in his office and entertain myself.

Sometimes I'd just wander around and that's how I met max, I got lost and began crying and he found me and took me back to Curt. Max was my hero that day and I always loved seeing him any time I could. I used to give him a hand made card every year until I started high school and my visits became less and less frequent.

He opens my card and beams and pulls out the little keychain I'd gotten for him. "I know it's not a lot-"

"Are you kidding I love it MJ! Thank you!" He says holding the small golden electrical charm. "And thank you for the card, I can put it with your others." He says leaning down to give me a one armed hug. "You kept them all?" He nods proudly, "you spent all that time making them for me I couldn't throw them out."  My heart genuinely warms and I feel guilty for having stopped making them over the past few years.

"Anyways Max I know this isn't a lot and because I haven't seen you in so long I thought we could do a birthday lunch? My treat we can to your favourite place and catch up?" He nods excitedly, "really?"

"Really," I nod in confirmation, "is tomorrow good for you?" He's nodding before I even finish my question.

"It's perfect."

"Alright I'll meet you outside tomorrow at lunch time, oh also before I forget, what's your favourite flavour of cake?" He shakes his head, "that's too much MJ." Now it's my turn to shake my head, "no it's not. You're the one who used to bring me a cupcake every year on my birthday."

"Oh I've got to go but tomorrow I'll be waiting here ok?"

"You're not meeting Harry today?"

"No I gotta work today and he's got some big meeting or something. Have a great day and don't overwork yourself."

***

"Harry this better be an emergency?" I say after having received a call during my shift. "Yes very big emergency, I need you to come and meet me." I roll my eyes knowing nothing was wrong, "I'm working a double today Harold and I don't own the company so I can't just waltz out whenever I feel like." He chuckles on the other end.

"I'll pay you."

"No! The fact you even suggested that is just... wow."

"Come on MJ, you know you want to."

"Harry you know I love you-"

"I love you too." He interrupts making me sigh, "Harry, I can't. I have responsibilities...I have bills I need to contribute to." If I could I'd ditch and hang out with him like I did every day I wasn't working but it wouldn't be fair for me to do that.

"You can't just lie this once and get out of it? I promise I'll never ask you ever again."

"MJ! Hurry it up in there!"

"I'm making no promises." I whisper over the phone before leaving the storage cupboard I'd been squished in. "I don't pay you to stand around taking calls."

"I'm so sorry Ed but it was my sister, she needs me at the hospital because my moms not doing so well." I even pull out the fake tears which softens Ed's face instantly. I feel a strong sense of guilt in my stomach but it's too late to go back on my lie now and I just pray I don't get any bad Karma for this.

"Yeah of course, go, go. I'm sorry kid." I was a terrible person and I was for sure getting terrible karma for this.

***

"You made it!" I roll my eyes once I get to where Harry told me to meet him and see he's not alone. "I lied for you so you owe me, I feel awful." He shrugs, "you said it was an emergency." I press making him smirk, "it was, I needed you to see who found me."

"Hey Peter." I nod in his direction as he watches us awkwardly, "wow you weren't kidding when you said you guys weren't friends anymore." Harry notes making Peter and I share another awkward glance.

"Harry why did you call me here?" I ask impatiently crossing my arms, "what I thought we could hang out? You used to love hanging out with us."

"Yeah well we all changed, you moved away and we grew up, things weren't gonna stay how they were." I say making things about ten times more awkward. "Can't you just stay? We've been having so much fun the past two weeks." I pull my lip between my teeth as I look between both boys.

"Come on my dad just died, I just wanna hang out like we used to." I roll my eyes and sigh as I step towards them making Harry grin. "I'm letting you pull the dead dad once so you better cherish this." I say as he throws his arm around me.

"Now the two of you need to kiss and makeup because I'm not gonna be around the two of you if you act like I'm forcing you to be around each other."

"You are forcing us to be around each other." We end up saying in unison making Harry point between us. "Hey look at that we're already off to a great start."