𝑇𝐻𝐼𝑅𝑇𝑌 𝐸𝐼𝐺𝐻𝑇

MJ

I wake up feeling utterly defeated. I can't muster up enough strength to even roll over to shield myself from the suns harsh glare, forget getting up.

I don't even remember how I got home yesterday, I remember being sat with Peter at the Empire State Building and that's about it. He must've brought me home.

"Mj?" I internally roll my eyes as my sister appears at my doorway. "Where have you been?" She's worried not angry and I begin to feel guilt creeping through my veins.

"I'm sorry Gayle, I stayed with a friend the other night and I've just been so -"

"I get it, it's ok MJ." She says softly joining me in bed and wrapping her arms around me. "I know we've had some issues recently but I promise I'm here for you. I always will be, I'm your big sister Myra and now it's just you and me against the world." Her words are comforting yet painful as they're reminding me of our harsh reality now, we were orphans.

"Thanks Gayle. I'm here for you too, I promise. Me, you, Tommy and the baby are gonna be just fine." She nods and holds me tighter as she begins crying. I try my best at comforting her but ultimately we both end sobbing together as we hold each other.

***

"Oh, that boy you hate came by the house by the way." Gayle says randomly as we're devouring a pizza and watching her favourite romcom. "Boy I hate?" I ask confused, "you know Mj, the one, I can't remember his name now, May's nephew?"

I sit up in interest, "Peter?" She nods, "yeah that's the one." She doesn't elaborate as I stare at her expectantly. "Well..." she glances at me confused, "what?"

"When did he come and what did he say."

"He came twice, once two days ago and then again today whilst you were sleeping."

"And what did he say?"

"Nothing," she laughs slightly as she glances at me. "He didn't say anything special, he was just looking for you." She tells me but I'm not satisfied with that answer. "And he didn't say why?" I continue. "No, I told him he could come in and that I'd wake you up but he said to let you sleep." I smile to myself.

"Jeez, you wouldn't think you hate this kid with the way you're acting."

"I don't hate Peter." I say firmly making her laugh again, "I can tell, so what's going on between the two of you then?" She asks nosily, but I smile at her, it was nice.

"Nothing, he has a girlfriend. It's actually Gwen." Her eyebrows raise, "your best friend Gwen?" I nod, "well we're not really friends anymore."

"Because of Peter?" I shake my head firmly, "no, no, we just ended up drifting."

"That's a shame, I remember how close the two of you used to be." I nod along to her words fondly remembering those days.

"Also I did something really stupid Gayle." She looks worried. "I slept with Peter's best friend." She sits up now, pizza discarded as her mouth drops in shock. "What? Why?" I shrug, "I don't know, we uh we'd been drinking a bit and I knew that he liked me so I kissed him because I was feeling very lonely and then one thing led to another." She sits quietly so I continue.

"I just feel like nothing good is going to come from this now, if I go out with him because I feel like I owe it to him it's all just gonna be one sided. And I don't want to be with him like that, I want... uh I just prefer us as friends but he's dying so I can't be mean and reject him now, not when I made the first move."

"He's dying?" I nod, "yeah you've really dug yourself a hole here."

"I thought you were supposed to give me some good sister advice?"