2.

chapter two

chapter two

"Hi! I'm Chuck!" The curly-haired boy says as we step onto the ground. He eagerly shakes hands with the brunette and I and I smile down at him.

"Do ya know where Newt is?" Alby asks, hopping off the makeshift ladder.

"Right there." Chuck points, turning slightly to his right. As we look, we see Newt approaching our small group.

"Here to be Caroline's chariot to the Homestead." He jokes. I quickly laugh at him and he motions for me to come over and walk with him. As soon as I reach him, we start walking in relative silence. I look back over my shoulder and see the new boy looking at us before Chuck drags him off to where he's going to be sleeping. "How do you like the Glade so far?"

"Well, aside from being stuck here for god knows how long, I'd say pretty good." I say, my small accent coming out. I see Newt try to hide a very small smile as I talk and furrow my brows. "What?"

"Nothing." He rushes, dropping the faint smile. "Uh, anyways. This is the Homestead, aka where you'll be sleeping. We moved you here so you can be with us Keepers and away from the others. Hopefully, you'll feel as safe as you are."

"What even are 'Keepers?'" I ask, putting airquotes around the last word.

"They're like leaders." He explains, opening the door for us to walk in. He lets me go first and I shoot him a smile to say thank you. "So for instance, Minho is the Keeper, or leader, of the Runners."

"Who's Minho? And what are Runners?" I question, us heading upstairs.

"Well you've got a lot of questions, don't ya?" He chuckles, walking me down to my room. "You'll meet Minho once they come back. You'll also know what Runners are soon enough."

"I-" I start, then realize I don't want to ask more questions. "Okay."

"This is your room." He says, opening a makeshift door that reveals a decent sized room. I walk in and look around. There's a decently big bed with all white sheets, which look pretty comfortable to be honest. There's also one small dresser and another door. I go to open the door and it reveals another room. "That's my room." I then close the door, wondering why ours are connected, but I choose not to question it. I also look at the door frame, and it looks like it was very recently sawed through. I shrug it off and go back to the middle of the room. All of a sudden, someone else comes barging in.

"Here's your stuff." He says, dropping it onto the floor and running off.

"Sorry, that was Scott." Newt laughs. "Not much of a talker."

"Doesn't seem like it." I giggle, walking over to the box that was left. I pick it up and set it on my dresser, opening it. I remember that there are pads and such in here, so I quickly take the clothes out and slam the box shut. Newt gives me a questioning look that I pay no attention to as I put my clothes into the small drawers. As I finish, I look over to the blonde boy that is now leaning on my doorframe. "So, can I know what Runners are now? And why I want to be one already?"