17.

chapter seventeen

chapter seventeen.

"Hey, what's your problem with us?" Thomas blurts as we walk to the Slammer. I look down as he says this to our still intertwined hands and smile ever so slightly.

"Everything started going wrong when you guys showed up." Gally sighs before continuing. Honestly, it's kind of.. no very difficult to even think about being friends again. He's changed. A lot. I mean I can't blame him. "First Ben, then Alby, and now the girl. Everyone saw that she recognized you, Thomas. And I'm betting that at least one of you know her, too." A beat of silence passes through the air before the taller boy steps forward and oh-so-graciously holds the door to the Slammer open for us to climb into the small 'room.'

"Well this is just like a home!" I exclaim sarcastically. Thomas shoots me a look as Gally knots the lock of rope back into place, then places his hand on the barred door.

"Gally." He starts. "You.. you know we can't stay here forever, right?" Gally freezes mid knot and looks at Thomas with contemplation swarming in his eyes. He doesn't respond as he quickly finishes the mound of knots and rushes off the way we came.

"Now why would you say that to Gally out of all people?" I ask as a laugh almost shines through.

"I might change his mind.. I don't know." Thomas sighs before walking to a back corner and sitting down criss cross, his back against the wall.

"I don't think anything can change his mind." I laugh, crossing my arms. Thomas looks up to me with a small shine in his eyes and pats his lap.

"Come here." He mutters, motioning for me to lay down with my head on his crossed legs. I do so easily, and he starts to play with my blonde locks. "Didn't you say we were friends with him before the Glade?"

"Yeah." I sigh, playing with the fingers on the boys free hand to pass the time. "From what I know, he seems to have changed.. a lot. I can't really blame him though. He's basically the leader here, besides Newt and Alby." As I take in the darkness of the Slammer, I let my body realize how tired I am. "I'm literally about to pass the shuck out."

"Sounds about right." He chuckles. "Hey uh, Caro?"

"Hm?" I hum lazily, letting my eyes close.

"Uh.. wh- what are we?" He asks. I can feel the uneasyness in his voice. "Like.. relationship wise. I mean, if you just wanna be friends that's fine. If you wanna be together.. I'm cool with that too. Friends with benefits? Sure."

"Shh." I shush as I hold up a finger to his lips. "You're rambling."

"Sorry.." He apologizes. I shake my head, dismissing it. I then open my eyes again and furrow my brows, not really sure either.

"Together." I state, mustering up every bold molecule in my body. "That works for me. And not bound at the hip. Like, together together. We can go on walk dates. Maybe even running from a Griever date?" At this, he lets out a soft laugh.