11.

chapter eleven

chapter eleven.

Screeching. That's all I can hear. I swear it never fully stops, even for a second. It's like a ringing in your ear that you get when listening to music too loud and for too long then turn it off, and the outcome is a ringing in your ear that won't freaking go away. Or like a fly buzzing in your house. You swat at the same place about eighty times and just as you think you have it, the buzzing comes back.

As Thomas and I head one direction, the sound doesn't stop coming from every direction. As we walk, I think everything might be okay. We might get out with no harm done. Boy, was I wrong. As soon as we advance through the chose hallway, a squish comes from below his foot, which makes my face twist up in disgust. He lifts his foot and under it is some type of nasty goo sticking to the sole of his combat boot. My face remains the same before a disgusting liquid of the same consistency drops onto his shoulder. And that's when my brain registers the Griever above us.

"Woah!" Thomas yells as he backs up, falling onto the ground. The killing machine then jumps from its position suspended above us down to the ground and I squeal as well but manage to keep my footing. The brunette then starts scooting away and I take a few steps back as well when the Griever makes an advance, jumping towards us. I'm not getting the image of that thing out of my head for months.. if we get out of here. As soon as I'm close enough to the boy, I quickly kneel down and help him get up before we take off in a sprint. "Woah!"

"Stop saying 'woah!'" I yell, us running down a long hallway. I assess our possibilities before seeing a more narrow path we can turn down. Thomas is in front of my so I quickly grab the back of his shirt and make him turn with me. The Griever turns down a different hallway, so I think we lost it. Well, though we lost it until it comes bursting through one of the Maze walls.

"Oh!" I hear Thomas shout as we come face-to-face with the monster. I'm close enough to it that it could literally swallow me whole then and there. The two of us then turn around and keep sprinting away and at this point all I can hear is my feet pounding on the ground. I become aware of that and my breathing as Thomas and I run. I need to keep track of everything so I don't pass out. As I actually focus on my body, I realize how sweaty I am. My small baby hairs that are protruding from my head are stuck to my forehead like I glued them there. I raise a hand to wipe them, but they don't move. The Glade better have good showers

As we continue running, we have to skid to a stop so we don't slam into a wall. Thankfully, I had my arms out since I knew I wouldn't be able to slow in time or else that would've been very embarrassing. Once we fully stop, our eyes catch each others and I sent him a look filled with worry. We then look away and try to find a way out. He takes about two steps ahead before I realize we're trapped.