8.

chapter eight

chapter eight. (the gif has no correlation to the chapter but i had to add it)

I wake up with a gasp back in my white sheets and comfortable-ish bed. I look around my room quickly to establish I am in fact in the Glade and I sigh at my dream. My memory. I take a very deep breath as I think about it and how we were all friends.

I was together with Thomas.

Will exists, wherever he is. Maybe he's here, I'll have to ask.

And finally, Newt is my brother.

Newt. Is. My. Brother.

My jaw keeps clenching and uncleching as I think and my nails find my thigh, my nails digging into the skin like they did in the room. They continue to make deep cresent moons in my pale skin as I remember that Thomas would always stop me when I did it near him. I start breathing heavier until my whole body is heaving up and down through the force of my breaths and I'm shaking. I'm having a panic attack. My brows furrow and my left hand finds my heart and I bend my fingers slightly. My right hands nails are still digging into my skin, and I'm sure I'm bleeding at this point.

My eyes focus on a small line in the floor caused by different pieces of wood nailed together to create a stable enough floor as I continue breathing heavily. Finally, after what felt like hours, I hear a creaking outside, breaking my focus. I fling myself out of my bed as I make myself calm down and I almost fall over, but balance myself with my right foot. Much like I did in the Box. I look out of my window to see the doors opening and my adrenaline rises. I can almost feel it pumping through my veins. I quickly slip my tennis shoes on, since they're in sight, and run out of my bedroom door and into the empty hallway. My breathing is still slightly labored and my hands are still very shaky, but I have so much adrenaline running through my body, I don't care. I also just woke up, but I'm too awake to notice. I quickly shoot down the stairs and out the front door.

As I run, a small pain emerges from my thigh where I was pressing my nails into my skin. I look down to see red flowing down my thigh. I was right about my skin breaking. Thankfully I fell asleep in shorts so I didn't ruin pants. I could care less however as I run freely across the empty Glade to the walls. Since it's so early in the morning, no one is awake. Except the three figures at the doors. As I get closer, I make them out to be Alby, Minho, and Newt. I don't think I can look him in the eye right now. Finally, I make it to the small group of Keepers as the doors finish opening and Minho and Alby go sprinting in, copying my speed from moments earlier. I slow down as I reach the opening and Newt and I are left.

"Woah." He gasps as I appear at his side. "You okay?"

"No." I reply shortly. I take a few deep breaths before I recover and I look into the Maze, not wanting to look at Newt.

"What's wrong?" He asks, genuine concern in his tone.

"Uh.." I start before realizing I don't know what to say. Oh yeah! I had a memory disguised as a dream and you're my brother! Then I woke up and had a panic attack. No biggie. "Nothing."