16.

chapter sixteen

chapter sixteen.

As Newt and I make it to the ground around the Lookout, there are already a few Gladers there with covers over their heads. I almost laugh at the sight before more rocks come falling from where the girl probably is and I throw an arm over my own head before ducking under the cover of the Tower, safe from falling rocks and sticks.

"Oh, damn!" Frypan yells as he gets nailed by a flying rock. "Everybody watch your heads. Heads! Heads! Heads!"

"Leave me alone!" I hear the girl yell from the top.

"Hey!" Gally shouts. "Throw one more of those things and I'm gonna-" He then gets cut off as he gets a rock thrown into his head and I immediately let out a laugh.

"Go away!" The feminine voice exclaims once more. I then decide to start climbing the Lookout and to the girl, since I'm the only other one, she might feel at least a little safer with me. Thomas starts calling out to her but I ignore it as I make it to the top quickly, reminiscing on how the first time I did this it was with Alby and Thomas our first day here. As soon as I reach the small trap door that leads to the top, I swing it open and start my way inside the actual Lookout point. Once I look up to the girl, she has a machete pointed at me with a straight face, her knees curled up to her chest.

"Hey, I'm not gonna hurt you." I say softly, holding my hands out. "I'm the only other girl here. Might not want to kill me before you get the chance of actually knowing me."

"Where am I? What is this place?" She starts as her arm is still steadily out towards me. "Who are you? Why can't I remember anything?"

"Okay, it's okay." I start. "It's normal not to remember anything. None of us did when we got here, just like you. This is called the Glade. It's filled with boys which is kind of gross, but it's okay." Her face softens ever so slightly as I say that, so at least I've had some effect on her. "I'm Caroline. I have a brother who is really nice. His name is Newt. He's actually down there and you definetely hit him with a few rocks. There's also T-" Before I can say anything else, the trap door opens again and Thomas' head pokes through. "That's Thomas. There's also Minho, but he can be kind of cranky most of the time. Do you remember your name, yet?"

"Teresa." She states before stiffening her arm back at the sight of Thomas.

"I'm Thomas." The boy nods although I literally just said that. "But, you know that already... somehow."

"They said I kept saying your name in my sleep." Teresa says as she looks to Thomas. I can't help the pang of jealousy that shoots through me, but I shake it off. "Who are you?"

"I don't know." Thomas breathes as he finally fully climbs into the Lookout. I furrow my brows and look at him as his gaze travels to the floor. "I- I can't remember, okay? A lot of us here can't remember anything."