6.

chapter six

chapter six.

A small cut, in the shape of a perfect circle, right on Ben's stomach. Surrounded in black veins. Everyone around us grimaces or scoffs of some sort. Thomas and I stare in confusion, amazement, worry, everything.

"He's been Stung." Gally declares, staring at the spot. "In the middle of the day?"

"Help me, please." Ben pleads as he winces. "Please. Please, just help."

"Put him in the Pit." Alby says, standing up yet still looking at the boy. What the Pit is? I couldn't tell you. "Come on, everybody help. Take him to the Pit."

"No! No!"

"Med-jack!" Newt yells over Ben, who has resumed struggling.

"Please!" He continues. "Please don't do it!"

"Calm down, Ben!" Gally exclaims as he starts his struggle up again.

"Get off of me! Get off of me!" 

"Calm down." Newt sighs as the two Med-jacks pick the blonde off the ground, starting their journey to whatever the Pit is.

"Please, no! You don't understand! Please stop! Please! He did this! Please stop. NO! No, please! HELP ME!"

My jaw clenches as my face hardens as the group goes, Ben's struggling getting quieter and quieter. I swallow harshly, looking down to the ground where he was just on top of me. I can't believe that just happened. I let out an incredibly shaking breath and I feel a hand on my arm. I snap my head over to see Thomas looking at me with sorrow in his eyes. I sigh again as I blink and return my gaze to the group that's bringing Ben to the Pit.

"It's only the second day." I whisper, feeling the feeling in my throat when you feel like you're about to cry. It's like torture. I refuse to cry right now, however. One, I'm surrounded by people I don't know and two, I need to stop being so sensitive.

"I know." I hear muttered beside me. We stand like that for another few seconds, my jaw clenching and uncleching continuously before I'm snapped out of my trance by Alby.

❃ ❃ ❃

"So what happened to him?" Thomas asks. We're now sat by where the boys sleep, Alby and Thomas to my left and Chuck to my right.

"It's called the Changing." Alby starts, picking at the wood he sits on. "It's what happens when someone gets Stung." A big pause. "Listen." Another big pause. "We haven't been able to get a clear word out of Ben since it happened. You know, he's not making any sense. And it's only gonna get worse. The infection is spreading. He's dangerous. What did he say to you two?"