22.

chapter twenty two

chapter twenty two.

It's now the day after, and Gally's currently trying to convince everyone that it's Thomas' fault that everything happened. And it's working. He's also throwing my name around, just not nearly as much as the brunette's, whose head is currently unconcious in my lap.

"I refuse to let him get Banished." I scoff. Newt, Chuck, Teresa, and Minho just came by the Slammer to tell me the news about Gally. "If Gally really wants to, he can come to me."

"You know you can't stop him." Newt sighs, looking down at me through the bamboo bars.

"Whatever." I say while shrugging slightly. A silence then comes over us as we sit and wait for Thomas to wake up after getting Stung. I still have the canister of the Cure in my hand, only now it's empty. I have that hand on his chest, while my other hand is gently twirling a few short, brown strands of his hair in my free hand. I then hear a short deep breath under me and snap my head over and look at the boy, who's eyes are starting to open. They do so quickly and I see tiredness swirling in his chocolate eyes, which are slightly squinting at the daylight. "Hey. How are you feeling?" His jaw clenches as he looks back up at me, meeting my blue eyes as I stop messing with his hair.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck asks him with harshness. I wince at his tone and look up to the younger boy before Thomas sits up as well and looks to the group above us.

"What happened?" Thomas turns to me with slightly furrowed brows. I open my mouth to answer but Newt beats me to it.

"Gally's taken control." He responds, birds tweeting above him. "He said we had a choice. Either join him or get Banished at sundown, which is soon, with you."

"And the others agreed to that?" The brunette gapes, getting up and resting against the stone wall.

"Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this happened." I explain while looking at the ground.

"Well.. he's been right so far." Thomas says as I furrow my brows and change my focus to him.

"What are you talking about?" Minho asks, probably holding the same expression as me.

"This place.." The boy starts. "it's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison; it's a test. It all started when we were younger. They'd give us these challenges. They were expirementing on us. And then people starting disappearing. Every month, one after the other like clockwork."

"Sending them up into the Maze?" Newt speaks as a question, though it comes out as more of a statement.

"Yeah, but not all of us." Thomas shakes his head.

"What do you mean?" The blonde asks.

"Guys, I'm one of them." He states, looking up at Newt. "The people who put you here, I worked with them." At this, my face drops as well as my jaw and stomach as I watch him. "I- I watched you guys for years. The entire time you've been here, I.. I was on the other side of it. And so were you." He focuses his gaze on me. "And Teresa. The three of us.."