21.

chapter twenty one

chapter twenty one.

All of us crouch immediately at the sound of more chittering and clicking outside of the Council Hall, getting ready to do something if needed. As we watch the Griever try and find a way through the wood, it hits the roof, which causes all of us to flinch in fear.

"Stay back, guys." Newt states as we push some Gladers behind us so Thomas, Newt, Teresa, two others and I are at the front. The Griever then slams an arm onto the roof again which causes the group behind us to scatter away. A few of them let out short shouts as Fry shushes them. They listen quickly as the six of us watch the ceiling intently, waiting for something bad to happen. The mechanical arm hits the roof one last time before it finally makes its way inside, dust and such falling into the Meeting room. This causes more noise to erupt from the crowd as people tell others to move away from the sight. The machine arm then grabs on to one of the support beams, somehow it knew it was there, which causes the whole roof to go down in shambles. 

More yelling continues as the roof falls onto us, knocking the six of us down and onto the hard concrete floor, knocking the wind out of me immediately. Coughing and grunts are heard all around as I shove a heavy piece of wood off of my legs, seeing a hand reach down to help me. I look up to see Thomas looking down at me and I grab his hand greatfully, him helping me up from the hard floor. I look over to see Frypan doing the same to Newt.

"Everyone okay?" Newt shouts over the noises. Various replies of 'yes' and 'maybe' are shared through us before a yell becomes evident, louder than everyone else.

"HELP!" I hear a voice yell, as does Thomas. We look quickly to the source, seeing a guy under some materials, a Griever trying to yank him out.

"Hey, grab him!" Thomas exclaims. We run over, along with a few others, but before we can get to him, the Griever successfully snags him out of our grasp. I hear his screams fade off into the distance. Newt readies his machete in front of me as we prepare for the Griever to come back at this spot, but instead, an arm comes breaking through the already destroyed walls to our right. 

"CHUCK!" Jeff yells, my face dropping. I look over to see the mechanical arm preparing to lock on to Chuck as the younger boy screams and tries to run away. I smack Thomas' arm quickly before we both try and run to the boy. Before we can however, he gets grabbed by the mechanism, but thankfully Teresa comes to the rescue and grabs onto his hands. Thomas and I speed up and finally reach him, us now trying to pull him back to the ground with us.

"Chuck, don't let go!" The brunette exclaims as he tightens his grip around the curly-headed boys wrists.

"No shit!" The younger boy responds, gritting his teeth. I almost loosen my grip on him as I was not expecting him to curse. We keep pulling with all of our might against the much stronger machine, until I see a sharp needle like thing come out of the side of it's arm. I then hear an almost battle cry yell, and see Alby running towards the arm with a machete. He makes it here quickly and immediately starts banging on the metal arm, actually starting to break it. It takes him about five to ten hits before it breaks, but he successfully breaks the bonds of wires and Chuck falls to the ground as I regain my balance.