Chapter 26

a/n: this is the most IMPORTANT chapter yet! please strap in, this is a long one.

...

Joseph is climbing on the doorframe and Daiyu is mad-not at Joseph, of course, but Daiyu is still mad.

"Yu, please calm down," May says, calmly wrapping an arm around her friend's stiff shoulders.

Daiyu grits her teeth, glaring at the woman still leaning in her front doorway.

"I want her gone," she spits.

May sighs, rubbing Yu's back before walking towards the woman. Daiyu hears them talk but can't decipher a word they're saying since her mind is running amok. Angrily, Daiyu's aunt storms out of the flat, probably realizing it's all futile.

The next thing she knows, May is wrapping her arms around Daiyu again. She doesn't even realize it until May wipes her cheeks that she's crying.

"It's alright, darling. That bitch is gone now," and at that, Daiyu laughs weakly. "I'll make some hot cocoa and we can watch a movie. Does that sound alright?" Daiyu nods, and they leave the entryway.

Honestly, Daiyu hates thinking about her family situation. Ever since she was left in her aunt's care, she'd been constantly harassed by her aunt for money, as her aunt often made her feel bad for taking care of her when she'd been financially insecure. Naively, Daiyu gave the money earned from her part-time job to her, but it wasn't until recently that she broke free of it-becoming what's known by most people as a sex worker to support a life outside her aunt's control. From there she met May, and she knew she could never go back to how it was before now that she's had a taste of living again.

"How did she find me?" Daiyu starts to panic. "When will she be back, a-and then-?"

A sharp tone cuts through her thoughts with hands placed on her cheeks.

"She won't. And if she does, we'll call the police. You're safe, Daiyu, understand me?"

Daiyu nods, feeling tears well up again.

She takes a deep breath, "Thank you. I don't think I could survive without you." Smiling sadly, May intertwines their fingers.

"Nonsense, you're stronger than you think. I'm just your hype woman, remember?"

Daiyu laughs, shaking her head, "Not as much as I am for you."

"Do you want to fight on this? Because I will win."

...

hey, you free rn?

I am.

What's wrong?

why do you think something
is wrong?

Because you're never
this nice when you greet
me

Or quiet

quiet? lol

you've never heard me speak

hello?

Sorry, I'm here

Idk it's like I can feel your
presence from just your
words n shit

oh, yeah i get that

i feel like you're generally really
loud when social, but you've
also got a quiet side to you
as well