Chapter 69

a/n: nice chapter number

...

The distance from the hospital to her apartment is around a 20-minute walk. Daiyu checked on Maya and the doctors said she'd be alright, that her oxygen flow is stable once more. Her equipment malfunctioned, and while it's not common, it's certainly possible for that to happen. The doctors explained it with technical terms, but from what she got from that, was that Maya was extremely unlucky to have poorly functioning equipment.

She stayed by her friend's side until eventually leaving on her own will.

On the way home, while she, unfortunately, passes one too many British railroads, she also gets to stop by a few quaint markets for some fresh produce.

Daiyu swings the bag full of fruits and veggies back and forth, humming to an indiscernible tune stuck in her head. She thinks of stopping by the local pet store and buying cat treats for Joseph, but she quickly puts that thought to rest. After all, he's way too spoilt.

Her phone buzzes. She checks a new message from Alphonso.

Are you home yet?

no, walking home

Okay

Strange, she thought. No reason, no explanation, just "okay." Maybe it wasn't that weird. Alphonso must have just been asking in case she was at the hospital, as he gets worried when she spends too much time there.

Brushing off the standoffish text, she responds to Tommy's game pigeon as she continues her stroll, winning triumphantly at virtual pool. Tommy spams her a bunch of middle finger emojis in retaliation and she laughs out loud, probably looking like a maniac to those around her. By now, she's only a couple of streets away from her place.

Her phone buzzes again while she's playing her third round of pool, and this time she sees the message pop up.

Turn around, I'm right behind you

Her entire body buckled, heart dropped, and her breath seized. It's Alphonso's contact for sure, but it shocks her even after the notification disappears. She clutches the phone tightly to her chest as if it's her last resort.

Why are you scared? It's just Alphonso. Turn around and greet him. Go on.

But the unpleasant nature of the text keeps her facing forward, foot planting ahead after the next. She doesn't look back and pretends she never saw it.  If Alphonso wants to meet her, then do it normally for goodness sake.

Maybe he's pranking her?

She thinks of Maya's bruising from the accident, her coma, the fact Alphonso was the last person to see her, and how Maya's oxygen equipment was compromised.

"Daiyu!" Alphonso's voice sounds enraged, as she hears footsteps thundering behind her. Daiyu doesn't want to stop but reluctantly digs her heel into the ground, gradually turning to meet him. He walks up to her too close for comfort. "Why the fuck would you read my message and ignore me?"

"I-I—what message?" She feigns innocence, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear nervously.

"People fidget with their hair when they're lying," he mocks, "are you a liar now?"