Chapter 70

Daiyu's loud footsteps alerted everone in the hospital to 'get out of the fucking way' moments before she could hit anyone. She reached the end of the hall, right where Maya's room is.

"I'm sorry, miss, you can't enter," said the nurse blocking the entrance.

She took a deep breath before replying, "But I'm her best friend, practically family. I was told she woke up," she pants, "please, please let me in."

"Yes, I understand," the nurse smiles sweetly, "but currently our CNS is giving her a cognitive assessment. You can see her after it's done."

"Cognitive assessment? What does that mean?"

"It's nothing to worry about. We need to check her memory conditions since her brain has gone through some trauma."

"Oh, okay. I guess I'll wait outside then?" The nurse nods. Daiyu's quiet for 5 seconds before another question pops up, "What happens if she fails the assessment?"

The nurse studies her for a second. "Let's not worry about 'what if's' right now. Your friend, she's okay, and that's what matters."

...

Maya immediately lights up the second she catches sight of Daiyu. Daiyu quickly rushes to her friend's oustretched arms, squeezing her enough not to alarm the nearby nurses.

"This is real," she murmurs in awe.

Maya giggles, "Guess I was out for a while?"

"Yeah, you were, you meanie." She cages her in her arms, "Never do that to me again. I could've died of a heart attack!"

"Oh, Yu, ever so dramatic." Maya sighs, "It won't happen again, if I can help it."

Daiyu frowns, "What do you mean?"

She feels her shrug, "I dunno. Can't remember much."

"Wait," Daiyu pulls back, "you don't remember what happened or how-?"

"The nurse says I've got mild retrograde amnesia or something. I was told I tripped and a car hit me, but I can't remember it or what happened prior. I'm slowly regaining my memories, though."

Daiyu hesitates. "Do you remember being with Alphonso when it happened?"

"Ah," recognition flashes in her eyes, "yes, I do remember meeting up with him, we... discussed something?"

"Discussed something? He never said that."

"I can faintly remember that's why we met up, but I can't think of what the details were."

Daiyu smiles to comfort her, "It's okay. Do you know if these memories will come back?"

"I have TBI, which is basically traumatic brain injury, so only time can tell if my brain stored those memories or not. At the latest," she gestures to the ICN taking notes by the window, "he said it could take months. But for my case, since it's not as severe, recovery will most likely only take a couple of days to a week."

Nodding, Daiyu rubs her wrist. May's heartbeat feels more alive than ever, and it strangely comforts her. "That's good. Don't stress yourself, then."

"I love you."

Daiyu leans her forehead against hers, "Love you too."

...

That wasn't me.

I didn't mean to.

I swear to god.

I lost control.