Chapter 61

Harsh wind knocks on the windows, and warm blankets are tossed on Daiyu and Tommy's shoulders as they huddle for warmth on this chilly day. The active PC is like a fireplace generating heat, as Daiyu occasionally leans her face next to it.

"Jesus, British weather is awful." Daiyu glances at Tommy from where her cheek is smushed against the machinery. She raised her eyebrows, "Still don't want to change nationalities?"

Tommy looks at her amusedly, "I don't think that's something I can control, but you go, queen."

Some youtube video played in the background about a conspiracy theory that she and Tommy picked out half an hour ago. She lost interest in it by now, choosing to focus on the cold room-and why the fuck is his AC not working?

"Your apartment is cursed."

"Thanks, I know."

One small move and their shared blanket fall off Tommy's shoulders, and he whines, "Nooo cold, cold!"

"I'm going to confiscate this blanket because your apartment fucking sucks shit, and then I'm going to defenestrate you into the storm because I despise you, and I want to bury all your treasured belongings," she said in one breath. Tommy stares at her, shell-shocked. Yeah, she's mad there's no AC, and she's made that abundantly clear. "Since that would make me the owner of this place, I'm also tearing down the moldy wall and setting fire to the asbestos room."

"So you are an arsonist after all?" They look at each other with stoic expressions for a few seconds before they lose their composure, bursting out laughing. Daiyu leans over, gasping for breath as she wacks his shoulder playfully. They begin fighting for coverage under the blanket, tugging the fabric back and forth. Reluctantly, she eventually allows him under the blanket again. And once her giggles die down, she refocuses on the video.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

She eyes her faced-down phone suspiciously, the battle of the blanket out of mind. It's early enough that it could reasonably be someone from Malaysia, but then again, if it's not May, she doesn't want to talk to whoever it is (Al in particular).

"Are you going to check it?" Tommy gestures to her phone. Biting the inside of her cheek, she does. Upon seeing what the notification is for, she immediately drops her phone, gasping into her hands. "What-what is it??" She turns comically slow to face him, hands still covering half her face in disbelief. All of a sudden, Tommy sounds worried, "Is everything okay? Is May okay-"

"My grades are posted." She watches his face morph from a look of worry to something like excitement.

"Really!?" he exclaims, "open it up!" She shakes her head. "What, why not?"

"I'm scared," she squeaks out.

"You're fine," he said, drawing out the 'e.' He cups her shoulder, speaking confidently, "You probably got all A*'s anyway."

A few minutes passed, and Daiyu's unwillingly got her results on the monitor. One-click and every grade for her subjects will be revealed. One-click might decide everything.

"Oh my god," she breathes, covering her eyes, "I can't look."

"Do you want me to do it for you?"

"Yes-no, actually yes," she stares at the mouse instead of the monitor, "No... let's do it together."

Chuckling, Tommy places his hand over hers. "Ready?"

"Nope."

"Ready now?"

"No."

"Now?"

"Shut the fuck up, Harry."

"I haven't heard you call me that in a long time. Fitting, actually."