Chapter 71

She leaned her head gently on his shoulder. Her smile was infectious, as she cupped her round cheeks with makeshift sweaterpaws, blushing like a drunken madwoman. Well, she'd drunk a few beers, so that's about accurate.

Tommy doesn't think Daiyu will remember much of what she's said come morning. So then, with that logic, Tommy doesn't have to hold back his staring. With glazed-over eyes, he watches her fondly, eyes crinkling to match her expression. There's no world where Tommy wouldn't get lost in her deep brown eyes—not a chance.

"Tuh-Tom," she burps, "I'm so huh-happy here."

Tommy grins, "Yeah?" He curls his palm around her shoulder and squeezes.

"I love Brighton"—another burp—"I love it here."

Her entire body collapses on his, and he grunts.

In truth, he couldn't respond right then and there, because if he did, he knew his heart would combust on the spot. He knew he'd reach out, hold her, and never let her leave. He knew he'd confess his feelings to her. He was barely keeping himself from saying the "L word."

All he could say was, "Goodnight," and, "I'm glad you enjoyed our date," although the last part was whispered.

Was this a date?

...

Tommy wakes up with a sigh. He misses Daiyu.

Removing himself from the covers and standing up, he enters the kitchen to fix something up to eat.

His phone buzzes beside his bowl of cereal, and he gives it a long look.

Sure, he's got a few things scheduled today (it's actually really hectic), but that can wait. Daiyu's always more important.

yo

what's up

Yo

Cereal

mmm

cereal

Is good 👍

good 🤝

How are you queen?

struggle bus

Are you not going to speak more than two words?

Also, is it your family?

yeah

👎

Are you feeling okay?

Do you wanna call?

im good

🤤

Okay then

ooga booga

Yes, cavewoman

brain big

🤏

gun