Chapter 55

"What the hell are you doing at the ass crack of dawn?" Tommy inquires, walking into the kitchen in only pj's and his hair looking like a bird's nest.

Daiyu looks up from the counter where she's cutting slices of nori. "I'm cooking something."

He pulls a stool to sit by the counter and points out blatantly, "But you can't cook." She glares, moving on to cut... spam? "What are you making?"

"Spam musubi."

His lips form an 'o' sound. Quickly, he takes in how domestic this looks, watching Daiyu cook in his kitchen.

"Do I get any?"

"No," she replied curtly.

His face evidently falls, "O-oh."

Her eyes meet his, and she smiles, sending a wave of flutters to his stomach. "I'm just joking. Of course, you can have some."

"Cool. Did you go shopping earlier?" He obviously didn't have these ingredients before.

"Yeah, I did." She walks to the pan that's currently sizzling with slices of spam. "You want to stir the rice while I cook the spam?"

Hopping off the seat with a sudden giddy feeling, he replies, "Yeah, totally."

The domestic feeling grew as they stood side-by-side cooking, crowded over his small stove, while he blindly trusted she knew what she was doing. Tommy blames the heat of the boiling pot for the redness of his face. He looks down at Daiyu, who flips the spam in the bubbling soy sauce, and is instantly reminded of their height difference. He doesn't realize he's staring until Daiyu meets his eyes expectantly. Her lips move.

"-ommy, hello, please hand me the tray."

His brain promptly flicks on. "O-oh, shit, sorry. Yeah, just... here." Daiyu shakes her head with a playful smirk.

"Thanks, and I think the rice should be done, so turn off the heat."

"Right." He does as instructed, scratching his nape.

Daiyu removes the spam from the pan. "Do you wanna strain the rice, or should I?"

"I can," he puffs out his chest, "I'm not a pussy."

She chuckles, "Alright, big man, but don't burn yourself."

If Daiyu can do this, then surely he can, right? He releases a harrowing scream as he pours the contents into the strainer resting in the sink.

Brushing his forehead, "See, I can do basically anything."

She throws him an amused look. "Great job, king. Mr. Landlord is going to be pleased the building's personal rooster woke him up."

"Ah, shit."

...

"Spam musabi," Tommy says to the camera before taking a bite.

"Musubi," she corrects his pronunciation. And that's another thing Tommy's been doing, vlogging tidbits of their days with his phone. She's not surprised since he's a Youtuber, and she's rather excited to see the final product once it's released. He says it will be a chill vlog.

(Daiyu also manages to attend another pottery class, finishing up her magnificent bowl while successfully fooling Tommy. She couldn't be happier with the end result, and she hides it in her suitcase where it will stay until his birthday).

After her nondescript pottery class, Tommy also gets a friend to film when they venture off to partake in goat yoga. When he asked Daiyu for a list of the things she'd want to do when she visited Britain, that was one among the many bizarre ideas on her list. "The best thing ever," she claimed. Tommy didn't enjoy it as much; instead, his back was sore hours later after goats trambled his back.