Chapter 33

The day the Chopin video is released, titled "This Girl Accidentally Texted Me...," Daiyu is beyond ecstatic (and a little upset he didn't call it "The Chopin Soap Opera" as she requested).

Upon seeing the thumbnail, she smiles amusedly. It's Tommy looking rather appalled with the background being a few of their texts that happen to be from the day they first spoke.

She hesitates, unknowingly.

...

Tommy's sorting through some of his belongings, making a donation and a keep pile in the middle of his room. After tossing a few hoodies into his keep pile, his phone starts to ring. Initially, he thinks it's one of his mates, but he's quickly and surprisingly proven wrong.

Daiyu is calling, it reads.

At that moment, there's no way Tommy will ever admit to the mini heart attack that occurs right then and there. Muffling out a few swears, Tommy pushes a hand through his hair-as if making himself look presentable would matter. He hurriedly accepts the call before it stops ringing, and the world is silent for a second, two, three-

"Tommy?" Her voice sounds more gentle than he'd expected.

He realizes he's making this awkward when he stays silent for a second too long, and he also realizes the absurdity of this occasion. This is their first call after months of talking-or, rather, texting.

"Why the hell is this the first time we're calling?" Tommy blurts out.

Daiyu huffs, "Nice to talk to you too."

Tommy sighs, and then he smiles, shaking his head with feigned annoyance.

He grunts, "Hello, Daiyu."

"Hey, Tommy Tom Thomas," and her voice sounds like a breath of fresh air. "You sound undeniably British, and I don't know how to feel about that."

Chuckling, Tommy asks, "Have you seen the video yet?" He assumes that must be why she's calling. After some ruffling from her end, she answers.

"No."

"No?" He furrows his eyebrows. "Why not?"

"I was about to, but I wanted to watch it with you." And Tommy feels his heart pitter-patter. "Is that okay?"

Tommy breathes out, "Yeah. 'Course we can."

"Okay, I'm going to play it on the TV." Hearing more scattering from her end, Tommy situates himself on his bed, bracing himself for what's to come (the unknown?). He's not quite sure how he feels about this, or how he should feel about listening to Daiyu watching the video he made about her.

It makes him feel vulnerable.

"Alright, video is currently on the screen but not playing," Daiyu says then snorts. "Why do you look like that?"

"Are you insulting my good looks?"

"Well, I'm looking at your thumbnails, and there seems to be a trend for your facial expression. Except for my video, you look absolutely repulsed," she points out. "Should I be offended?"

"Now you know how I look whenever I get a text from you." The humorous tone in his voice betrays his lie.

Daiyu scoffs jokingly, "I suppose that means you only had nice things to say about me."