Chapter 10: A Visit to the Park

PINKIE AND SKYSTAR POV

HOME, HALF AN HOUR EARLIER

"And... your turn," Pinkie muttered for the hundredth time, reclining back on the couch.

"I mean, I liked this game at first, but now it's become so boring," Skystar muttered. "We've played like 1000 times."

"We'll try to use the keyboard after this match," Pinkie suggested. "Even we've played that before."

The chess game continued, with Skystar picking up good defense points with her rooks. But Pinkie was a genius at finding the slightest mistake in pawn positions, and soon Skystar found herself at odds with how to effectively block access to her queen and king. In the end, Pinkie took hold of Skystar's bishop while she attempted to defend her king.

"Ah, you're too good at this," Skystar groaned. "You've won more than I ever have."

"Don't be sad, Skystar," Pinkie reassured, caressing the hippogriff's cheeks. "You just have to perfect your strategies. How about some music? Let's see about ideas... I actually like cheerleading."

It wasn't long before Pinkie found an entertaining, upbeat song. On the desktop, she looked in a folder called "Sheet Music" and found the same song.

"Hmmm, this one looks rather complicated. Skystar, can you play? I can sing and play the drum pad."

Rather painstakingly, Pinkie set up the instrument layout with a guitar and drum kit, and then hit the record button. They then began together.

"When I need motivation..."

"My one solution is my queen 'cause she stay strong..."

They continued on, smoothly letting each line out in time with the note pitches. Unfortunately, the MacBook's weak internal mic made the resulting audio so weak that Pinkie had to turn it way up.

"Aw, it sounds distorted," Skystar pouted. "Let's try again."

Pinkie saved the project and started a new one. This time they turned the mic volume all the way up and made sure their vocals were bang-in time with the musical notes.

"Let's hear it now," Skystar suggested after playing the last notes. "I'm out of breath."

"How can you be?" Pinkie laughed, hitting the play button. "You're part fish, silly!"

The notes still sounded off, until Pinkie realized something.

"Ah, silly me! Forgot to do this!" she giggled, tapping the quantize button.

"Now it sounds better!" Skystar beamed. "I feel like...like I'm running and flying. It's so upbeat."

"Well, let's go outside! There are so many places we could go!" Pinkie exclaimed, unfolding a map of Parkdale. "Look, here's a little park we could visit! We could play buckball and maybe even enjoy the playground!"

"What are we waiting for?" Skystar exclaimed.

"Actually, I just remembered something I could use!"

Skystar stared in bewilderment as Pinkie zoomed into Xavier's room, returning with a wheeled board and a ball.

"Now I'll have someone to roll with! Yay!" Skystar squealed.

Pinkie opened the door and Skystar climbed up the steps, albeit slowly. Pinkie followed her out the door with the board and ball, shutting the door... and forgetting to lock it.