Chapter 33: Tempest's Adventure - Part II

Having reached the front door, Leo opened it, and Tempest kicked it open – though gently. Even so, their appearance startled the inhabitants. It was rather roomy inside, even with a decent amount of antique furniture. In the small living room, two kids – a son and daughter – were playing with some toys. And in the kitchen, a fine, lovely lady – Leo's wife.

"Delighted to meet you all," Tempest said with a friendly yet formal tone, her gaze indirectly aimed at the kids. "Your dad here needs some help."

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!" a scream came in return, followed by a bolt for the bedrooms. In a quick, swift motion, Leo's wife reached under the counter and brandished a double-barrel shotgun, startling the two.

"Seriously?" Tempest muttered, looking annoyed but unfazed.

"Maddie, lower the gun, honey," Leo ordered, regaining his strength. "She's not a threat. You have my word."

"Did you drink at lunch?" Madeline interrogated.

"Please," Tempest sighed in frustration. "Park aside emotion and listen to words of reason and wisdom."

Slowly and calmly, Madeline lowered the shotgun and returned it to its safe storage area. Tempest then exchanged her serious, disappointed face for one of happiness and contentment. "Thank you. Now let's help poor Leo here."

Madeline fetched the first aid kit, while Leo's two children, Ashley and Nathan, cautiously approached. Tempest noticed Leo trying to sit upright, and got an idea.

"Here," she whispered, gesturing to Leo's children and then to the armor on her back. After some nervous steps, they finally were at her side.

"Undo it. Little clasps underneath."

Now that they'd felt more at ease, Ashley and Nathan reached up to Tempest's back and soon found the clasps. The ridged armor plates came off without a hitch. With her back area now soft and exposed, Tempest lay down on the cool hardwood floor, serving as a back support and pillow for Leo.

Maddie then began a first-aid routine, applying an ice pack wrapped in cloth, then carefully treating the wound before applying an antibacterial pad and a gauze wrap.

"How do you feel now, Leo?" Tempest asked gingerly, craning her neck around to look at him, like a babysitter would look at a toddler curled up in its lap. Ashley seized the moment for a spot of teasing.

"Awww, for a bold and fierce military commander you're cute and sweet!"

Tempest growled low internally, but only ended up blushing – slightly, resulting in a squee from Ashley.

"I don't really like being called that, but showing love, care, and kindness is the best I can do for my life," she confided. Looking up, she felt a sense of pleading and youthful, childish affection in Ashley. "Come. You're yearning to show me it, go ahead."

Ashley scooted up beside Tempest, cradled her neck, and gave her a big kiss on the muzzle, causing Tempest to almost twitch from shock, but soon she relaxed. Maybe being submissive wasn't so bad after all...

Hardly believing her own thoughts, Tempest let her lips slip. "Um, could you show me the barn? Where you keep the... horses."

"Why not. You're practically one yourself," Ashley whispered evilly in a joking voice.

Tempest found herself outside on the porch, letting the bright sun warm her up. She had decided to shed her armor and black one-piece jumpsuit, as Leo insisted it would restrict her movement and cause unnecessary weight. Horses had to be loose and free-spirited, he said.