Epilogue

It took a while before my mom and I could get going with our lives again. After successfully returning my friends home, I had to endure long hours of detainment and investigation. However, I came out of it as clean as a shirt out of the washing machine. The police finally understood who my friends were and why I'd done such an act.

Later that evening, Zack and his mom came over to pick up the remaining items from the basement, and I explained what happened back at Nathan Phillips Square. Mr. Xing came over and we handed him the keys. We cleaned the basement one final time, packed our bags, and headed for the airport. Due to its sharp points, I could not bring the staff – it had to be shipped separately at a later date.

"Thanks for the ride, and thanks for all those years of fun and thrill," I said, giving him one final hug.

"You're welcome, and I thank you too, for introducing me to some of the best new friends I've ever made," he replied. "Now go and have some fun in a tropical land! Make the locals proud with their favorite music!"

"I'll try to learn boating and surfing, too!" I added, waving to him from the terminal's doorway. "Goodbye, Zack."

The flight to Trinidad took many hours, but I was patient. The food wasn't too bad, and I enjoyed a nice meal of eggs, tea, and some muffins. A little girl got excited when I played a tune from one of her favorite cartoons, and I had fun playing and creating music on my keyboard, despite its large size. I set up my laptop on Joyce's lap and spread the keyboard across my lap. I found a few steel drum samples in my tropical sound pack, and we practiced together, creating a few jolly tunes on the fly.

Some seven hours later, the plane touched down on the runway of Piarco International Airport. We checked out, got the rest of our baggage, converted our cash, and took a taxi to a 3-star hotel close by, where we'd stay until we could re-establish housing, bank accounts, phone and internet service, insurance, and jobs.

I still missed my friend back home, but I was already falling in love with my surroundings. The air was thick, humid, and salty, a stern reminder of where we now lived. We were hardly ahead in time zones, and thus were able to adjust quickly.

While Joyce took a shower, I arranged all my music gear out on the desk. Using the available hotel internet, I hooked up with Spotify and chilled with my favorite tunes as I read a book, before soon drifting off to sleep.

The next morning, after a quick breakfast, I looked out from the window, my eyes in total awe at the scenery before me, just like I'd seen in photography. Small houses densely packed together, with smooth streets with motor scooters buzzing up and down them, with cars alongside. Further down lay a major interconnecting highway, a mall, and a golf course. I couldn't wait to visit the small villages and try some of the local food, or take a splash in the waves of the sandy beaches. But all that would have to wait.

"We need to visit the governmental services to confirm a few important details and link up our bank accounts," Joyce noted.

"Absolutely," I replied, licking fruit juice off my lips. "One step at a time."

And one step indeed. We established our money was still intact, then began contacting a real estate agent, and an insurance company. I, unfortunately, got the short end of the wishbone, finding myself frustrated with over a dozen calls to people who were unnegotiable and didn't speak good English.

On the other hand, Joyce established a link with a reputable real estate agent in just two calls. Our max renting budget was $2000, and we found a nice house in Cascade for just within – $1970. Hitching a ride from the kind agent (who was nice enough to pick us up from the hotel), we drove down the highway, all the way through several communities – Augustine, Valsayn, and Barataria to name a few – to get to Cascades. My mom chose it for its exclusivity, its good included add-ons, and a nice view of the valley. Plus, lots of amenities nearby and a natural feel with the trees and hilly area.