Chapter 20: Confronted and A Call

XAVIER POV

MAVERICK AND RODNEY'S MOD SHOP

After the Gran Torino had its wheels back on and lowered by Spike yours truly, Brian and I set about checking its new wiring harness. The owner had left it collecting dust for a couple years before wanting to have it restored and fitted with a modern, upgraded electrical, computerized engine management system and a 521 big block V8 swap. I bled the brakes and hooked up the hoses with the accuracy I'd developed over many years, while Brian installed the hood. Finally, we worked together for hours to properly cycle and bleed the clutch thoroughly. As I sat back, gingerly pumping the clutch pedal, I called Rarity over.

"Hey, Rarity. YO, RARITY!"

"Yes, darling?" Rarity trotted over, looking up at me in a genial, almost affectionate manner.

"I saw you smiling in a rather... interesting way when we were all celebrating the completion of the Integra," I stated bluntly, cutting straight to the chase. "What was that all about?"

"Um, you see, when I ordered lunch, Twilight and her friends, well you didn't tell us everything about human's eating habits. So..."

"So what?" I hissed, getting impatient and almost hitting the clutch too hard. "Spill it, pony!"

"I... I... I ordered shawarma with chicken, fish, and beef. I gave Rodney and Maverick the beef and gave the chicken and fish to you and Twilight and the others. But for Fluttershy, I gave her a veggie one. I couldn't bear to see her feeling sad or disgusted, and knowing her level of knowledge on animals she'd recognize it immediately."

My face fell and I shook a finger at her. "So you actually fed your friends chicken, fish, and cow meat without them realizing it. You sly little marshmallow."

"Okay, that... that was good. But don't tell them right away. If they ask, then you gotta tell 'em. Now can you help Brian under there hold the pipe for the clutch slave cylinder? Owner's gonna be coming this evening to pick this car up, so we need to get it done fast."

Rarity nodded sadly and trotted under the car. Getting dirty was not an option, so Brian wiped the underside of the transmission dry so nothing would smear or drip. After a good hour or so, the clutch finally worked properly, and was ready for the dyno. I opted to assist in the cleaning process, so Fluttershy and I scrubbed the floor, swept the entrance, and vacuumed the office. We picked up broken parts and components and disposed of them in the proper dumpster, before returning to work on some of the other projects that were lying about.

As I helped Garrett hand the Mustang's doors over to Kristen, I spotted Rarity sitting by the garage entrance, looking quiet and stiff as a dead tree in a desert.

"Is something bothering you, Xavier?" Kristen inquired, giving me a compassionate look.

I gave a slight nod. "I... feel a little bad for interrogating Rarity over the prank she pulled. I wanted her to reveal the truth, but I didn't anticipate how hard it'd actually be on her."

"Maybe she just isn't used to having to deal with the pressure of telling the truth," Kristen suggested. "You don't really have to apologize, but you should try to make her feel better about what she's done."

I paused. She was right. "Thanks for the advice. I'll chat later."

"Happy to help, Xavier."

As we closed up for the evening, I spotted Rarity sitting on Rodney's iconic bench outside the main building, and seized my chance.

"Hey, how'd the work day go for you?" I asked, trying to get the conversation flowing loosely and gently, figuring I'd straighten it out later.

"Everything but lunch," she pouted, staring blindly at the puddles of motor oil on the concrete ground.