Part 9

Stevie watched out the window at people walking and cars driving by as she sipped her coffee. She checked her watch and pursed her lips. Olivia was late and she had promised the babysitter, she wouldn't be gone long. Stevie wasn't entirely sure as to why Olivia had suddenly decided to take their friendship out of the gym to begin with. They hadn't known each other for very long, the time they got to spend together was quite enough at the moment.

A hand on Stevie's shoulder caught her attention before Olivia pulled out a chair opposite from her. She slumped down heavily, out of breath. "I'm so sorry! I couldn't get my car to start, then I was running around the house, looking for-"

"Hey, it's fine." Stevie waved it off, covering Olivia's hand with her own. "Calm down."

Taking a deep breath, Olivia then exhaled heavily. "Calm, I'm calm." She nodded with a smile. "Thanks for agreeing to meet with me."

"No worries. Is there a reason, why you asked to see me or..." Stevie trailed off, picking up her soy latte. 

"No." Olivia said, but she quickly changed her mind. "Okay, yes." With a raised eyebrow, Stevie waited for her to elaborate. "I might be going completely crazy, but-" She stopped, when a waiter approached the table. "I'll have the same." Olivia pointed to Stevie's cup. 

"What makes you think that you're going crazy?" Stevie asked once they were left alone again. 

"Remember, when I told you about my boyfriend's failed attempt at proposing to me?" Olivia rummaged through her purse until she found her phone. 

"Uh... yeah?" Stevie nodded, swallowing uneasily. She thought, they were over that conversation. 

"Well, I talked to him last night. I managed to get him to open up about that woman." Olivia's eyes settled on Stevie, who tried her best to seem completely calm. "I know it in my heart that this is just a massive coincidence. I mean, there are so many people on this planet, but..." She bit into her bottom lip as if considering if she should continue. "I have to ask. I'll sleep better at night if I know."

"Ask- ask me what?" Stevie gripped her coffee with both her hands.

Olivia remained silent, while she looked through her phone. She looked up at Stevie first, then showed her a picture. "Do you know him?"

Her heartbeat picked up pace as she stared at Lindsey on Olivia's phone. Her mouth had gone completely dry and she was unable to pry her lips open to speak. 

"Stevie, do you know him?" Olivia repeated her question.

"I- I... isn't he some famous musician?" Maybe that will work?

"That's true." Olivia nodded. "But that wasn't really what I was asking you. Do you know him?"

 What were the freaking odds?

"I do." Stevie replied.