Part 19

"You sure came fast." Stevie said, closing the door behind her, when Lindsey stepped inside.

"I don't think that you've ever said that to me before." Lindsey smirked, thinking that a joke would lighten up the mood as he wasn't entirely sure as to what was going through her mind at the moment.

An eyeroll and a smile she was trying to fight back was her response. "I hope, you didn't drop everything to come see me."

"I wasn't doing anything." Lindsey shrugged, following Stevie into the living room, where she had clearly been enjoying her evening. "I was just thinking about... stuff."

"Oh." Stevie gave him a look, pretty sure that the stuff was not something he wanted to share. "Well, have a seat." She showed with her hand and he did. "Can I get you anything? I was going to refill my drink."

"Ah, I can't. I drove myself here." Lindsey leaned back against the couch, watching her. "Of course, I could call a car later and leave mine here."

"That would mean that you would have to come back to get it." Stevie said with her back turned to him, she did feel his stare, though.

"You're not planning on us seeing each other again after tonight?" He asked, cocking his head to one side, when she turned around. 

"We'll just have to wait and see, how it turns out first." Stevie smiled and joined him. "So."

"So." Lindsey echoed and waited for her to continue. 

"What have you been up to?" She was glad that she got to ask the easy question first. 

"Not much." He shrugged, resting his arm along the back of the couch, he turned more towards her. "I've been spending most of the time in the studio, since there's really nothing else for me to do."

"Why's that?" Stevie asked and took a sip. 

Taking a deep breath, Lindsey thought that there was no reason for him to be avoiding the truth. "Well, Olivia moved out, so..."

It took her a minute to respond. She saw it on his face that he was waiting for her to say something. What was she supposed to say? 

"I broke up with her." Lindsey added as if that wasn't clear. 

"Why?" Stevie opened her mouth at last and one word was the best she could do. 

"Because she and I weren't meant to have a happy ending. Because I realized that I was just settling for second best. While at first it was really good for me, eventually, I knew, I wasn't with her for all the right reasons." Lindsey answered honestly and hoped for some sort of a reaction from Stevie, but she didn't let anything show. "In case you were wondering, I didn't do it for you, but I did it because of you." He added. "If that makes sense."

Clearing her throat, Stevie shifted in her seat and her eyes fixed on the glass in her hand. "To be honest, not really."

"I don't have any expectations. For all I know, you might not have any feelings for me anymore, but... when I saw you again, I, uh- I knew that I couldn't love Olivia the same way I've always loved you. Not just her, any woman." Lindsey emphasized. "I truly believe that there's really only that one person for everybody no matter how cheesy or cliché that sounds. You're the woman I'm going to love for the rest of my life even if you don't feel the same."

"Are you sure, you don't want that drink?" Stevie asked and that wasn't exactly the question Lindsey had expected after opening his heart. 

"I dro-" He was about to repeat himself.

"I know. I don't care." Stevie interrupted and stood up. "I can't be the only one drinking if we're going to talk about our feelings."

"Oh, we are?" That did surprise him. "Well, sure then." 

A moment later, Stevie was back in her seat and Lindsey was taking a generous gulp from his glass. They didn't speak for a while. She was going over what he'd said in her head, while he waited, unwilling to say more.

"Do you truly believe that I don't love you anymore?" Stevie asked after a long pause. "That I'm not going to love you for the rest of my life?"

"I- I don't really know." Lindsey shook his head then turned to look at her. "Time passes, things change. Besides, you were so persistent I work things out with Olivia..." 

"I was, because I didn't want to be responsible for you not being happy."

"But I wasn't, Stevie. Well, I was, but not the way I wanted to. I can't seem to make sense." Lindsey gave her a one sided smile and she reached for his hand. 

"I understand." She too smiled at him and moved a bit closer, putting away her drink in the process. "Whatever happens..." She began and brought her hands up to cup his face. "Lindsey, I will always love you. I can't promise you that I can make you happy the way that you want to be, but I will always you."

They hadn't been that close for far too long. Of course, Lindsey's initial thought was to hold onto her and kiss her to make up for the past two years that they hadn't seen each other, but he was too afraid she would push him away.

"And just so you know, telling you to fix your relationship with another woman tore my heart to pieces. It's selfish, I know, but just the thought of you with someone else... it hurt. Actually getting to know the woman, seeing how absolutely amazing she was, that-" Stevie paused unsure if she would have been able to finish without tearing up. 

"I understand." Lindsey nodded and placed his hand on the back of her neck. He pulled her in closer and pressed his forehead to hers. "I understand." 

She traced his bottom lip with the pad of her thumb, her breathing got a little heavier. God, he's so close... She drew back, but only slightly, so she could look him in the eyes. 

"I'm going to kiss you." She said and a smile spread across his face.

"Not if I kiss you first." He replied and leaned in.