Part 26

"May I sit down?" Lindsey asked, when it was Stevie's turn to be too stunned to speak. She gave a small nod of her head and sat up, hugging her knees to her chest. "Amber is really worried about you."

"I know. I told her to just leave me alone." Stevie looked away, realizing that she must have looked like hell. 

"She's your daughter, she's not going to do that." Lindsey half-smiled, reaching to gently grasp her chin, he tilted her head up. "I hate seeing you so upset."

"Well..." She shrugged, surprised at the softness of his touch.

"I'm sorry, I didn't respond at all, that I just brought you home." He apologized, pulling his hand away. "I'm sorry that I left you in such a state."

"Lindsey, you have nothing to be sorry about." Stevie emphasized, shaking her head. "It's all on me, I'm the guilty one here. I'm shocked that you're even here." His words echoed in the back of her mind and she swallowed uneasily. "What did you mean by saying, you already knew? How?"

"I've been thinking about it since the first time I saw Lily." Lindsey shrugged, clasping his hands together, he leaned forward and hung his head low. "You told me then that she was 15-months-old. You seemed really hesitant to answer any of my questions about her, like you were keeping something from me."

"Which I was." Stevie sighed, feeling ashamed once again.

"Yeah." Lindsey nodded. "She has my eyes."

A weak smile crossed her lips, she didn't think that he had noticed. "She does."

"So, yes, I knew it in my heart, but I couldn't just- I couldn't ask you, you know?" Lindsey turned to look at her. "I didn't want you to think I was crazy. I thought that if it were true, you would tell me eventually. When you're ready." He added, seeing her eyes brim with tears for the nth time that night. "Don't, please." 

"How can I not?" Stevie asked, sounding hoarse. She cocked her head back and wiped under her eyes with the back of her hand. "I'll never forgive myself."

"You have to." Lindsey shifted closer and pulled her hands away from her face, he held them tightly in his. "Stevie, I'm not angry. I don't hate you. I could never."

"Why not?" The words were barely audible, when she spoke them. "You have every right to."

"A right to hate you because you made me a father? Because I have a beautiful little girl, who's my daughter? Because I have a daughter with the woman I've been in love with since I was a teenager?" He cupped her cheek and brushed his thumb over her damp skin. "Stevie, I don't hate you. I'm seconds away from asking you to marry me."

That was the last thing she had expected to hear from him, which made her laugh, then sniffle before she had to chew on the inside of her cheek to stop those damn tears. 

"I'm so sorry." She repeated. "There must have been a better way, I-" She cut herself off, shaking her head as she cast her eyes down at their joined hands. "I know that Lily doesn't really understand, but I've told her so much about you, I've showed her pictures and I have always referred to you as her daddy."

"You have?" Lindsey asked, unable to mask his surprise. "So, does this mean that your other kids know, too?"

"Yeah." Stevie nodded, bringing his hand up to kiss. "You're the only father she's ever had, the only one she's ever going to have."

Hearing all that, left Lindsey speechless. He parted his lips to say something a few times, but nothing came out. He decided to kiss her instead. 

"Stay." Stevie said, when they pulled back. "Stay here tonight, with me."

"Are you sure?" Lindsey questioned her proposal.

"Tonight, tomorrow..." Stevie nodded, tugging at his hand to bring him closer. "Forever."