Part 21

Stevie had hoped to enjoy a cup of coffee in peace the following morning. However, when she came down, Amber was already in the kitchen, biting into her avocado toast. She eyed her mother, who purposely kept her head down after murmuring something that resembled a hello.

"Hey." Amber replied. "So-"

"I do not want to talk about last night." Stevie said straight away as she moved over to one of the cupboards. 

"Don't know what you mean." Amber shrugged and received a smile. "We don't have to talk about, you know, but you still have to spill all the details. I thought, you said, you two were done, all in the past."

"I did." Stevie nodded, pulling out a chair, while she waited for the water to boil. "He broke up with his girlfriend, who found out about us. Nothing happened, while they were together, but when she knew, I was Lindsey's ex, she just fled. Lindsey came to see me, I pushed him to work things out with Olivia, but, well, you know how that ended."

"Uh-ha." Amber leaned in closer. "How did he end up on top of you last night?"

"We're not talking about that!" Stevie repeated herself, feeling her cheeks getting warmer. Seeing the look on Amber's face, let her know that she at least had to give her something. "I texted him last night. You and Dylan were out, Lily was already asleep and I just kind of wanted to see, what he would do. He was here in no time."

"Of course." Amber rolled her eyes with a light chuckle. "When I saw his car still in the driveway, I thought, he stayed over."

"No, we had a couple of drinks." Stevie shook her head. "He'll come and get it sometime today."

"So, you had a good evening." Amber assumed, taking the last bite of her breakfast. 

"I had a surprising evening." Stevie corrected and went to finish making her coffee. "We were only supposed to talk. Lindsey was being really honest about his feelings, therefore, so was I. We drifted closer to each other and... one thing led to another..." She shrugged. "I told him, I was going to kiss him, but he kissed me first."

"What do you think is going to happen?" Amber wondered aloud, not necessarily expecting a straight answer. 

"I honestly don't know." Stevie sighed as she sat down again. "I mean... last night was great and it just proved how badly I'd missed him, but..." 

"You're afraid." Amber gave her mother a sympathetic look. 

"Terrified." Stevie nodded. "I'll have to tell him the truth eventually, but I'm scared that he'll never talk to me again."

"You'll explain it the best you can and hopefully he'll understand." Amber encouraged Stevie, giving her hand a squeeze. 

"You don't know that." Stevie said, cocking her head back. She didn't want to start crying first thing in the morning. 

"Well, you can't keep it a secret. You'll have to tell him that Lily is his daughter." Amber emphasized with a pointed look.

"I know. I know." Stevie repeated with a sigh. "Just... not yet." She added, praying that it wasn't already too late.