Chapter 7- I Am An Adult

And that I need to change
If you're not living my life for me
You make it feel that wa–, –ay
You know you know, we're losing control
I gotta break away or nothing's gonna change
You've got to go, it's the end of the road
No matter what you do or say
- Independence Day • 5 Seconds of Summer

It seemed that through the day, the travel was in an almost complete silence. Peter and Trumpkin were holding a grudge against one another, and James could sense the tension. Because of that, he has decided not to stay in human form. So much walking meant that it would hurt more if he was only on two legs, so four was more ideal.

     It was also the easiest way to get out of talking to everyone. Alfie was laying on questions, and Harvey kept his nose buried in the book on Narnian history. Lucy was keeping quiet, afraid of being called crazy once again. When Edmund kept beside James, patting his head every once in a while, the panther form frowned. However, he knew it was just to distract from the scheming duo: Susan and Peter.

    Chances were they probably weren't scheming, but it was annoying James how content they were after pushing Lucy down. When they were alone, however long that took, James would be having stern words. Sterner than the ones that he'd said to Peter.

     Trumpkin was leading them towards the crossing beside Beruna, which made James think. He couldn't stop replaying that battle in his mind. Everything he did that day, he regretted. How could he not? So many lives were lost by his hands, and they would never be given back.

     Even the witch provoked some sort of regret. Not as much as the others, which was mainly due to the kidnapping and manipulation of Edmund, but death wasn't a punishment for anyone.

     "What are you thinking of?" Edmund wondered. The two were walking at the back of the group, looking out as James was the strongest.

  "The battle." He admitted, voice low and gravelly. When James was in his panther form, he preferred not to speak because his voice wasn't his own. However, it was an interesting thing to hear himself sound so odd.

  "Are you alright?" Wondered the youngest brother. "I know how you feel about it all."

  "It's what it is." James scrunched his nose. "I did things. You're aware that I'm not happy with what I did."

  "Come on, boys!" Susan called from the front of the troupe. "Hurry up."

     They neared the edge of the forest, and what they found was a large site by a river. It was mainly mechanical, with hoards of men welding and woodworking to create their weapons. Not only that, but to make a bridge for the crossing to be easier.

     James shrugged as he listened to all of the conversations he could: as a panther, his ears picked up the sounds he needed to hear. As they were all hidden behind a collection of wooden barriers, it wasn't so difficult to peak over. Seemingly, as they did, the worst came to happen.

     Miraz, who was the ruler until Caspian was old enough to take over, had arrived. The Pevensie's and Gallaghers, despite being crouched, knew that they could take him on, should they need to.

  "Perhaps this wasn't the best way to come, after all." Susan mumbled, and James shot her a look. It was exactly how Lucy had said it.