Chapter 17- Seeing You This Way

When I jump
I wanna do it so recklessly
And when I take my aim
Yeah, you're gonna know my name
When I smash into you
Don't want the smooth without the rough
I don't want the push without the shove
When you're on the edge
Sometimes you gotta lose your head
And jump right off into the deep
I'll never look before I leap
'Cause I'd rather be careless
And leave them speechless
- Smash Into You • Hey Violet

James Pevensie had always been afraid of dying, however normal it might have seemed in his day and age. The Great War ended only five years before his birth, and then, just before his sixteenth birthday, the second war began. The first was supposed to be the war to end all wars. So why wasn't it?

    Too many people had died already. James didn't want to be one of them.

    Surrounded by war in his late teenage years has frightened him. The horror stories from his childhood.

    James was afraid to die.

     When he awoke the next day, that was his first thought. His dark eyes snapped open, suddenly aware of everything that was happening. The whiteness of the light streaming into the tomb was blinding; his eyes ached.

     For a moment, everything was blissful.

     Then the pain hit.

     Every inch of his body ached with a sort of pain that James couldn't comprehend. It all felt stretched, and tight, and intense. Why did it all hurt so much?

    He remembered.

    A sword was plunged straight into his stomach. He should've died.

    Why wasn't he dead?

     "Hey, hey-" Edmund's voice rang inside of James' ears as his brother helped steady him. The King had tried to sit up too fast, and luckily, his brother helped him stabilise. "Take it easy."

  "Where's Caspian?" Was the first thing he said. His voice was hoarse, he'd not been able to hydrate properly for a day or so. It ached, just like the rest of him. The last thing James remembered was the Prince holding him, so of course, that was what he remembered.

  "Don't worry, he's planning things with Peter." The younger king soothed, passing James a crockery cup.

  "Thank you." He smiled.

  "He's been taking care of you." Edmund admitted, sat beside his older brother.

  "Really?" It was odd to hear.

  "He's barely left your side all day, I think he likes you."

    The words were shocking. Caspian?

    He had been so kind to James, and he wished it to be true, but it wasn't. Caspian wasn't like that. Was he? Then again, he had been so open to the idea of James' homosexuality. Was he...? No. Maybe?

     Did James even like Caspian as much as he thought he did?

     The tall, tanned, black haired Telmarine ran into the room, looking exasperated.