Chapter 10- Back In Beruna

Had another talk about where it's going wrong
But we're still young
We don't know where we're going
But we know where we belong
And oh we started
Two hearts in one home
It's hard when we argue
We're both stubborn
I know, but oh
- Sweet Creature • Harry Styles

James stopped.

     He hadn't meant to, not really, but when the clearing came into view, he found himself unable to move. There was a green field, with a border of trees surrounding the circumference. At the back, behind a small plinth of stone, was a hill, made sanctuary.

     A tomb, of sorts. Definitely, a place out of use. The telmarines mustn't have ever been there. It was good for the Narnian's, to an extent.

     It was only a matter of time.

    A sickness rose in James' stomach as his siblings surrounded him. Edmund placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, which James covered with his own. However, it did not ease his illness. He realised where they were, truly; and it was not a good place to be.

    This was Beruna. This was where the battle had been. This was where James had committed his first and greatest sin.

    The centaurs had raced ahead, and lined up in front of the plinth, creating an arch with their swords. In a way, James was reminded of the day he was coronated. That was the last time he was surrounded by so many varied species.

  Then, the humans walked forwards. At first, it was the six royals, the Gallaghers trailing behind. However, when they paused before the centaur arch, Caspian did not step forwards with them. He waited behind with the Gallagher brothers, and when they walked, so did he.

     There was little James could describe that explained how he felt. Some was guilt, some was pain, and some was glee. But there was a sense of unfinished business, something that James wasn't aware he could feel. However, he did, and it hurt.

     The light changed as they stepped underground, and the only illumination was from that of fire torches. Narnian's of all sorts worked left and right, creating weapons and machinery as if it were the old days. It was a beautiful, harmonious sight. James felt at ease, but only momentarily.

    Their scale wasn't large, and it seemed to take an age for something to happen, but it was progress. Hours ago, it was only the Pevensie's and the Gallaghers wandering the forests. Now, James was in the company of a Prince, and Narnian's.

    It seemed that the day would never come. Now, it had.

  "It may not be what you are used to," Caspian excused, lowly. "But it is defensible."

  James smiled, almost weakly. The sight of the place had taken a lot out of him. More than he thought. "Thank you."

  "It's strong." Edmund stated as the girls and Gallaghers wandered off. "That's good."

  "It is old." Agreed the Telmarine Prince. "And that makes it so."

  "James-" a woman's voice, Susan's voice, called. She came from around a stone tunnel's entrance, with a torch in hand. "You may want to see this."

     The quartet of boys raced towards Susan, and into the tunnel. Caspian walked slower than the rest: he seemed to know what they had found. Or, rather, what Alfie had found.