Chapter 27- To Want But To Never Have

Hard to be sure
Sometimes I feel so insecure
And loves so distant and obscure
Remains the cure
All by myself
Don't wanna be
All by myself
Anymore
- All By Myself • Celine Dion

All through the morning, James had been a little bit of a nuisance. Of course, he had a reason for it, and an embarrassing one at that. The truth was, he hated the way that fashion had changed. And, for some reason, the Telmarine servants who were supposed to helping James change, didn't allow him to wear his old Narnian clothes.

     Frankly, it annoyed him. So, all morning, Caspian had tried to wrangle him. That was, until they were forced into the courtyard. The courtyard where so many Narnian's had died.

     They all stood, proudly, in front of a crowd. However, they weren't the ones speaking for once. This time, it was Caspian's turn.

     "Narnia belongs to the Narnian's just as it does to man!" He began, and immediately James knew he would do well. It only took seconds, but he was proud. "Any Telmarine's who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. But for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers."

  Unconvinced, one man called out. "It's been generations since we left Telmar!"

  Calmly, Aslan relied. "We're not referring to Telmar. Your ancestors were seafaring brigands. Pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens. It is the that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start."

     This was a generous offer. Though James had been known to be a kind King, and a fair one too, he would never have done this for them. Too many had died to them.

    There was a silence. One filled with opportunity.

  Then, timidly, Glozell spoke up. He was alone in the crowd. "I will go. I will accept the offer."

  After him, a woman spoke up. She was beside a man with grey hair, possibly her father, with a baby in her arms. James was to learn that this was Caspian's cousin, the one who could have unknowingly taken his crown. "So will we."

  "Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good." Aslan released a breath, as light as a breeze, and blew it upon them. Then, using the same breath, he breathed upon the tree behind him.

    James watched as the bark twisted and contorted. It grew, and shaped, and became something completely different. There was a clear opening when the movement had stopped. A portal, back to their world.

     "How do we know he is not leading us to our death?" A man in the audience cried out, unconvinced.

  "Sire," Reepicheep spoke up, nobly. Something about the situation was making James nervous. Everything was making him uneasy. "If my example can be of any service, I will take eleven mice though with no delay."

     Aslan said nothing, but Peter and Susan shared a look. It was the sorts of looks that James and Edmund often shared. The secretive ones. They never meant anything good.

    Peter said. "We'll go."

  "We will?" Edmund's eyes widened, looking to his older brother.