Chapter 25- Talking and Walking

Oh don't it hurt deep inside
To see someone do something to her
Oh don't it pain to see someone cry
How especially if that someone is her
Silence is golden
But my eyes still see
Silence is golden, golden
But my eyes still see
- Silence Is Golden • The Tremeloes

After that broad conversation with the entire group, Aslan pulled James away, and the boys mind was racing. He was afraid of what the lion may want to say to him, but only from their last experience. They hadn't spoken in years, not directly, and James felt abandoned.

    Was it really abandonment? Did it count if he was the one to leave? Probably not. James definitely couldn't say that he was.

     In the forest, they walked calmly together, side by side. The last time that happened, James had been granted the ability to shift into a panther. He didn't want the power to shape-shift into into another creature. That would be complicated. How could he balance it? How would it work?

     "What do you think about Caspian?" Aslan asked, part way through their conversation.

  James knew he had two options. He could either tell the truth or lie. But he couldn't lie to Aslan, however much he may have wanted to. "He is a very special person."

  "Lucy mentioned your closeness."

  "I'm sure she did." Nodded the blonde boy, laughing in a sort of embarrassment.

  "But Alfie seemed to be infatuated with your situation." At that, James looked down. Of course his friend couldn't keep his mouth shut. "I do not resent you, James." Aslan stated, and a weight lifted from his chest.

  "It's just..." he began but paused. It wasn't flung out the way he wanted it to. "I never thought..." again, the same happened. "I... I just-" the words caught in his throat as the tears began to well.

    This was validation. But it was so much more than that. Aslan was someone who meant so much to so many people, James included. Without him, he wouldn't have survived in either world. Hearing those words come from Aslan, it meant everything, but it left James confused more than ever.

     When was it ever going to be the right time to bring it up?

     "You do not have to say anything." Promised Aslan, softly. "Just know that you are loved."

  James turned to face the lion, and wrapped his good arm around his body. "Thank you."

     A small amount of time passed, and James couldn't stop himself from thinking. The idea kept playing in his mind, and the blonde just had to know. It couldn't be kept from him. That would be unfair, and cruel. Wouldn't it?

     "Aslan?" He finally spoke up.

  "Yes, dear one?"

  "Why wouldn't you show me?" His voice quivered beneath the pile of self indulged pressure. "Have I done something wrong."

  "Never, my friend." Aslan replied, cordially. "You have only ever done what is right."

  "Then why?"

  "Because your faith in me ever dwindled. You did not need to see me to know that I was there."

  "Neither did Lucy." Protested James, softly. "But she still saw you. Even Alfie got to see you before I did. I just... I just don't understand how it's fair?"

  "You must understand that what is done here is a test for everything there." The lion explained to the King. "What you learn in this world can be transferred easily. That is why you are so very valuable."

  "I don't want to go back, Aslan." Spoke the brown eyed boy, timidly.

  "Everyone will have to go some time, James."

  "But I do not belong there."

  "That is where your family reside."

  "They have each other." Shrugged the blonde, rolling his eyes. "Caspian has only me, if he will still have me."

  "I commend you for your commitment, Dear one. Though, all good things must come to an end, eventually."

• - - •

ʜᴇʏ ɢᴜʏs,
ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴀ ǫᴜɪᴄᴋ ᴍᴇssᴀɢᴇ ᴛᴏ sᴀʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴜᴘʟᴏᴀᴅᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪʀsᴛ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀs ᴏꜰ ᴀ ᴘᴇᴛᴇʀ ᴘᴀʀᴋᴇʀ x ᴍᴀʟᴇ ᴏᴄ ʙᴏᴏᴋ.
ɪᴛ ɪs ᴀ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ʙɪᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴀ sʟᴏᴡ ʙᴜʀɴᴇʀ, ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ʜᴏᴘᴇ ɪᴛs's ᴡᴏʀᴛʜ ɪᴛ!
ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴇ ɢᴏ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ɪᴛ ᴏᴜᴛ, ɪ'ᴅ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴀᴘᴘʀᴇᴄɪᴀᴛᴇ ɪᴛ.
ᴀʟʟ ᴍʏ ʟᴏᴠᴇ,
- ᴇᴍᴍᴀ

•  -  -  •
742
•  -  -  •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with the Narnia book series or film trilogy. These predominantly belong to C.S. Lewis. However, I do own James Pevensie, Alfie and Harvey Gallagher, and their respective alterations to the storyline.