Chapter 14- Caspian

But he kept it all inside his head
What he saw he left unsaid
And though he wanted to
He couldn't talk to you
He couldn't find the way
But he would always say
- If I Could Tell Her • Ben Platt, Laura Dreyfuss

Fighting was always something had made James Thomas Pevensie nervous. He couldn't help it. There was a part of him that rejected every sort of violence: that part of him disappeared after he killed the Witch.

On the day before they were supposed to set off for the siege, James decided it would be a good idea for everyone to polish their fighting techniques. Of course, he was in charge of the organisation. He didn't mind at all, not if it could help save lives.

The Gallagher brothers had been put to work with Lucy, making sure that everything was as perfect as it could be. The young Pevensie was the perfect person to get them out of the way: Harvey wasn't too bothered by the fighting, but all Alfie wanted to do was battle people who were better than him. Thank God for Lucy.

Susan was in charge of the arches as Edmund and Peter worked in hand to hand combat. For those like James who used a variety of weapons, the High King would be teaching them.

For a few hours, James aided them with their swinging and slashing techniques. When they took a break, he was called over to the combat section, and James was confused.

"What's wrong?" He questioned Edmund as Oeter had already wandered off, confused to why he was over there.

"Caspian needs a hand." Edmund rolled his eyes. "Apparently we're not great teachers."

"Not really..." trailed the Telmarine Prince.

"What's the problem. Is it technique? Form?" James wondered. He wasn't so good with a sword, but he knew everything he was supposed to do.

Edmund gestured for Caspian to demonstrate the way he used his weapon, and James tilted his head. He knew what to do, of course. James always knew what to do.

The blonde strode over to the Prince, and pushed Caspian's shoulders down. The two were a similar height so it was easy to move his figure in the way that was optimum for battle. James pressed a hand against Caspian's stomach, pushing the air out.

From behind him, James whispered. "Hold your centre." The Prince nodded, tentatively, afraid to move. The King's hand ghosted his own, and moved Caspian's back towards his chest. He tensed. "Relax." He could hear James' smile through his words.

"This is... uh..." Edmund rubbed his neck, sort of confused.

"Now..." James stepped away, leaving Caspian to stand on his own, before speaking again. "How does that feel?"

With an amused grin, he replied. "More comfortable."

When training finished for the day, James decided to climb a tree. He needed to think, especially because of what was going to happen, and what already had. There was something nagging in the back of James' mind. He didn't like it.

Every step was relieving, and he climbed to the top of the tree, where the branches became more thin. It was the perfect place to watch from afar.

There was much to say about Caspian, and what he had done already. What about earlier? There was a sort of moment... wasn't there? Maybe he was making it up, but the way Caspian treated him wasn't like everyone back in England did. He was a breath of fresh air.

Maybe that was all James needed. Fresh air.

•  -  -  •

ᴀ/ɴ
ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴀ sʜᴏʀᴛ ɴᴏᴛᴇ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ɪ ᴀᴍ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴄᴜʀɪᴏᴜs ᴛᴏ sᴇᴇ ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ɢᴜʏs ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴʏ ʀᴇǫᴜᴇsᴛs ғᴏʀ ᴀ ʙᴏᴏᴋ ɪ ᴄᴏᴜʟs ᴡʀɪᴛᴇ.
ɪ'ᴅ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴀʙʟᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ᴏɴ ᴀ ʙᴏᴏᴋ ɪ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇᴀᴅ. sᴏ, ɪғ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ's ᴀɴʏ ғᴀɴᴅᴏᴍs ᴏʀ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀs ʏᴏᴜ'ᴅ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛᴏ sᴇᴇ ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴇɴᴛ ʜᴇʀᴇ.

- ᴇᴍᴍᴀ

•  -  -  •
689
•  -  -  •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with the Narnia book series or film trilogy. These predominantly belong to C.S. Lewis. However, I do own James Pevensie, Alfie and Harvey Gallagher, and their respective alterations to the storyline.