Chapter 15- The Siege Where Everything Went Wrong

Somewhere darker, talkin' the same shite
I need a partner, well, are you out tonight?
It's harder and harder to get you to listen
More I get through the gears
Incapable of makin' alright decisions, and havin' bad ideas
Now it's three in the mornin' and I'm tryin' to change your mind
- Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High? • Arctic Monkeys

The night was black, and no noise was being made. James had always loved the darkness: it was an escape from the light of day. There was something so free about it, but nothing was more freeing than flying.

    As the plan had dictated, the griffins flew the Pevensie's, Caspian and Trumpkin over the Castle until the signal was given. Edmund would be first, and his griffin flew faster than the rest of them. The mice would scuttle in through the portcullis as this happened, and the other Narnian's would start their trek.

     The light flickered in the sky: that was the cue.
     Caspian was slightly behind the rest of them having dropped to cut down a Telmarine soldier. It was sort of brave the way he was willing to fight against his own people. James admired it- he wasn't sure he'd ever be able to.

     When they were put to land, James felt relief. Thought it was only the beginning, it meant a lot to see even one thing go right.

     First on the agenda was going to Caspian's Professors chamber. He lead the group swiftly, and James made sure he was never further than ten feet behind. The Castle was creepy, and uneasy: James didn't like it one bit.

     However, it only worsened when they ran into the chamber. It was empty. Caspian held thinly wired glasses in his hand, then looked up. There was a sort of regret in his dark eyes, a pain.

  "I have to find him." Announced the Prince, as if it was the only thing that mattered.

  "You don't have time." Peter scolded, seemingly thinking it was his choice.

  James sighed. "We can make time."

  "You need to get the gate open." Persisted the second brother.

  "You wouldn't even be here without him." Snapped Caspian, angrily. Then, sombrely, he said. "And neither would I."

  "Don't think like that." James shook his head, softly.

  Susan interrupted, helpfully. "You and I can deal with Miraz if James goes with Caspian."

  "And I can still get to the gate in time." The Prince promised. With a curt nod, the five split, and went to their next positions.

     Trumpkin went to the gatehouse alone as the middle Pevensie siblings made their way towards Miraz's chambers. As this happened, Caspian dragged James down to the dungeons. He found it to be a drab and dreary place: he never wanted to go there again.

   The Telamarine Prince fumbled around for the keys- and when he found them there was a bright smile upon his face. It was interesting to say the least.

    Caspian gestured for James to be quiet, and he did. The King stayed outside of the cell, making sure that no one would disturb their business. There wasn't much else he could do, and there wasn't much time.

    When Caspian opened the door, the professor was lying on the floor, facing the wall.

  "Five more minutes?" Whispered Caspian as he attempted to find the right keys.